Formation of Metallic and Carbide Phases via Codecomposition of [NiEn3]WO4 and Lithium Hydride in the Range 410–1060°C
The formation of metallic and carbide phases during the thermal decomposition of a mixture of the coordination compound [NiEn3]WO4 (En = ethylenediamine) and LiH in a He atmosphere has been studied by X-ray diffraction. The results demonstrate that heat treatment of the mixture at 410°C for 10 min leads to the formation of a Ni(Cx) interstitial solid solution based on the HCP Ni lattice and a W1 –xNix substitutional solid solution based on the BCC W lattice. Starting at 510°C, a Ni1 –xWx solid solution based on the FCC Ni lattice is also formed. The double carbide Ni2W4Cx appears at 660°C, and Ni6W6Cx forms at 860°C. Under similar conditions (700°C, He), the thermal decomposition of a mixture of NiWO4 and LiH leads to the formation of W and an FCC Ni1 –xWx (x ~ 0.12) solid solution.
Keywords:coordination compound ethylenediamine nickel tungstate anion thermal decomposition high-resolution transmission electron microscopy double carbides
We are grateful to S.P. Khranenko, Candidate of Chemistry, for providing the [NiEn3]WO4 samples.
- 5.Yusenko, K.V., Gromilov, S.A., Korol’kov, I.V., Baidina, I.A., Romanenko, G.V., and Korenev, S.V., Double complex salts [Rh(NH3)5Cl]2[MCl6]Cl2 (M = Re, Os): synthesis and crystal structure, Russ. J. Inorg. Chem., 2004, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 511–516.Google Scholar
- 6.Yusenko, K.V., Riva, S., Carvalho, P., Arnaboldi, S., Sukhikh, A.S., Hanfland, M., and Gromilov, S.A., First hexagonal close packed high-entropy alloy with outstanding stability under extreme conditions and electrocatalytic activity for methanol oxidation, Scr. Mater., 2017, vol. 138, pp. 22–27.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Sokolov, V.V., Osadchaya, L.I., Petrii, O.A., Safonova, T.Y., Verbetskii, V.N., and Zotov, T.A., Electrochemical behavior of intermetallic compounds of the type AB5 synthesized during the reduction of a mixture of oxides and salts by lithium hydride, Russ, J. Electrochem., 2002, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1260–1262.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Sokolov, V.V., Osadchaya, L.I., Galkin, P.S., Zelenin, Ju.M., Stonoga, Yu.A., and Zubareva, A.P., Synthesis of intermetallic compounds by using lithium hydride, J. Rare Earths, 2002, vol. 20, pp. 257–258.Google Scholar
- 17.Gromilov, S.A., Nikolaev, R.E., and Cherepanova, S.V., Formation of compressed and mixed-layered graphite on heating impact diamonds, J. Struct. Chem., 2018, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 355–364.Google Scholar
- 22.Powder Diffraction File, PDF-2/Release 2009, International Centre for Diffraction Data, 2009.Google Scholar
- 24.Inorganic Crystal Structure Database, release 2017, Karlsruhe: Fashinformationszentrum, 2017.Google Scholar
- 26.Hansen, M. and Anderko, K., Constitution of Binary Alloys, New-York: McGraw-Hill, 1958.Google Scholar