Quantitative Assessment of the Bauschinger Effect in Magnesium Alloys with the Asymmetry Effect
- 16 Downloads
Special features of the quantitative assessment of the Bauschinger effect in magnesium alloys with asymmetrical deformation behavior are considered. It is found that the Bauschinger effect is associated with the different contribution of detwinning to the overall deformation, and calculation of the quantitative parameters of this effect by stress and deformation criteria gives close results. In this case, the asymmetrical behavior of the magnesium alloys at strain and compression exerts similar influence both on stress of the initial plastic deformation (compressional yield strength) and on the contribution of the deformation detwinning to the overall plastic deformation. Parameters of the Bauschinger effect during condensation of the magnesium alloys are close to zero; i.e., in this case, the effect is hardly evident; and inelasticity, responsible for that, is associated with the special features of detwinning just under strain. Comparison of the Bauschinger effect for two alloys—industrial ZK30 and advanced ZE10 with the rare earth elements—counts in favor of the latter in all cases.
Keywords:Bauschinger effect deformation asymmetry magnesium alloys
This work was performed under the financial support of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, project RFMEFI58615X0021.
- 3.Ben Hamu, G., Eliezer, D., and Shin, K.S., The relation between processing, microstructure and corrosion behavior of new magnesium alloys for transportation application, Proc. 47th Annual Conf. of the Australasian Corrosion Association 2007 “Corrosion Control 2007,” Red Hook, NY: Curran Associates, 2007, p. 906.Google Scholar
- 16.Bauschinger, J., Ueber die veranderung der elasticitatsgrenze und elasticitatsmodul verschiedener, Met. Caviling, 1881, vol. 27, pp. 289–348.Google Scholar
- 17.McLean, D., Mechanical Properties of Metals, New York: Wiley, 1962.Google Scholar
- 19.Abel, A., Historical perspectives and some of the main features of the Bauschinger effect, Mater. Forum, 1987, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 11–26.Google Scholar
- 20.Stolyarov, V.V., Bauschinger effect in ultrafine-grained metal materials, Zavod. Lab., Diagn. Mater., 2006, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 45–49.Google Scholar