Distribution of Stresses and Deformations in the Deformed Metal Volume at Indenting of a Spherical Indenter
- 6 Downloads
In this paper, we studied the distribution of stresses and deformations in a deformed metal under the indents obtained by indentation of a spherical indenter with a different degree of loading. For this purpose, the hardness method and the finite element method are used. These methods are shown to complement each other and their combined use gives more complete information on the values of stresses and strains in various zones of the deformed metal volume.
Keywords:spherical indenter indentation stress intensity deformation intensity hydrostatic core deformed volume hardness finite element method
This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation, project no. 15-19-00166, and performed at the National Research University MPEI.
- 3.Savitskii, F.S., Vandyshev, B.A., and Yakutovich, M.V., Plastic strain distribution around the conical indent, Zavod. Lab., 1948, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1476–1479.Google Scholar
- 4.Markovets, M.P., Compilation of stress-strain diagrams of real stresses using the hardness values and technological sample test, Zh. Tekh. Fiz., 1949, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 371–382.Google Scholar
- 5.Oka, Y.I., Matsumura, M., and Funaki, H., Measurements of plastic strain below an indentation and piling-up between two adjacent, Wear, 1995, vols. 186–187, part 1, pp. 50–55.Google Scholar
- 6.Del’, G.D., Opredelenie napryazhenii v plasticheskoi oblasti po raspredeleniyu tverdosti (Determination of Stresses in Plastic Area Using the Hardness Method), Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1971.Google Scholar
- 8.Matyunin, V.M., Indentirovanie v diagnostike mekhanicheskikh svoistv materialov (Use the Indentation in Diagnostics of Mechanical Properties of Material), Moscow: Mosk. Energ. Inst., 2015.Google Scholar
- 9.Chaudhri, M.M., Subsurface strain distribution around Vickers hardness indentations in annealed polycrystalline copper, Scr. Mater., 1998, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 3047–3056.Google Scholar
- 11.Ludwig, P. and Scheu, R., Vergleichende Zug-, Druck- und Walzversuche, Stahl Eisen, 1925, vol. 45, pp. 373–381.Google Scholar
- 12.Bakirov, M.B., Zaitsev, M.A., and Frolov, I.V., Elastic half-space spherical indentation process CAD simulation, Zavod. Lab., Diagn. Mater., 2001, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 37–47.Google Scholar
- 14.Nolan, G., Scale effects in microindentation of ductile crystals, MSc Thesis, Boston: Mass. Inst. Technol., 2000.Google Scholar
- 16.Mesarovic, S.J. and Fleck, N.A., Spherical indentation of elastic-plastic solids, Proc. R. Soc. A, 1999, vol. 455, no. 1987, pp. 2707–2728.Google Scholar