Method of Fracture Toughness Estimation in Corrosive Media under Long-Term Static Load
- 4 Downloads
Critical analysis of the methods of testing for fracture toughness in corrosive media under long-term load is presented. Bearing in mind the shortcomings of the known methods, we develop a technique for estimating the fracture toughness of structural materials in corrosive media under the impact of a long-term static load which is set with a high accuracy on a testing machine, which is then fixed with a spacer bolt. The method makes it possible to determine the effective load in the sample at any given time and study the kinetics of corrosion attack and change in the fracture toughness under conditions of long static loading.
Keywords:fracture toughness corrosion attack static load
This work was performed within the framework of the complex problem 18.2 “Development of Climate Testing Procedures and Instrumental Methods of Analysis” (“Strategic Direction for the Development of Materials and Technologies and Their Rework for the Period to 2030”).
- 1.Cherepanov, G.P., Mekhanika khrupkogo razrusheniya (Mechanics of Fragile Fracture), Izhevsk: Inst. Komp’yut. Issled., 2012.Google Scholar
- 2.GOST (State Standard) 25.506-85: Design, Calculation and Strength Testing. Methods of Mechanical Testing of Metals. Determination of Fracture Toughness Characteristics under the Static Loading, Moscow: Standartinform, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.ASTM E1681-99e1: Standard Test Method for Determining a Threshold Stress Intensity Factor for Environment-Assisted Cracking of Metallic Materials, West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM Int., 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.ASTM E399-90(1997): Standard Test Method for Plane-Strain Fracture Toughness of Metallic Materials, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM Int., 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.GOST (State Standard) 9.903-81: Unified System of Corrosion and Ageing Protection. High-Strength Steels and Alloys. Accelerated Test Methods for Corrosion Cracking, Moscow: Izd. Standartov, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Kablov, E.N., Lutsenko, A.N., Erasov, V.S., Grinevich, A.V., Nuzhnyy, G.A., and Lavrov, A.V., RF Patent 148072, Byull. Izobret., 2014, no. 33.Google Scholar
- 7.Kablov, E.N., Grinevich, A.V., Lutsenko, A.N., Erasov, V.S., Nuzhnyi, G.A., and Gulina, I.V., Study of the fracture kinetics in structural aluminum alloys subjected to a long-term action of a static load and a corrosive medium using specimens of a new type, Russ. Metall. (Engl. Transl.), 2017, vol. 2017, no. 4, pp. 350–355.Google Scholar