Synthesis and properties of bone cement materials in the calcium phosphate–calcium sulfate system
- 24 Downloads
We have studied the influence of the cement liquid composition and the relationship between the components of the calcium sulfate–precipitated calcium phosphate system in a wide concentration range on the setting time, phase composition, microstructure, and mechanical properties of cement materials. The results demonstrate that the greatest promise is held by a magnesium phosphate-based cement liquid which, when mixed with powder, forms a high-strength phase, leading to a considerable increase in the strength of the cements. The addition of 20 wt % calcium sulfate to the starting mixture ensures dispersion hardening of the cements. We have obtained new cement materials offering a strength of up to 60 MPa, which are expected to find medical applications.
Keywordsgypsum calcium phosphates biocements
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Privol’nev, V.V., Rodin, A.V., and Karakulina, E.V., Local treatment with antibiotics for bone tissue infection healing, Klinich. Mikrobiol. Antimikrobn. Khimioterap., 2012, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 118–132.Google Scholar
- 7.Opanasyuk, I.V. and Opanasyuk, Yu.V., Targeted tissue regeneration concept. Parodontological membranes, Sovrem. Stomatol., 2004, no. 4, pp. 57–62.Google Scholar
- 8.De Leonardis, D. and Pecora, G.E., Augmentation of the maxillary sinus with calcium sulfate: one-year clinical report from a prospective longitudinal study, Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Implants, 1999, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 869–878.Google Scholar
- 9.Bohner, M., Design of ceramic-based cements and putties for bone graft substitution, Eur. Cells Mater., 2010, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3–12.Google Scholar
- 11.Barinov, S.M., Smirnov, V.V., Khairutdinova, D.R., Smirnov, S.V., and Antonova, O.S., Composite cement materials in the dicalcium phosphate–gypsum system, Perspekt. Mater., 2016, no. 11, pp. 33–38.Google Scholar
- 13.Kogan, V.B., Ogorodnikov, S.K., and Kafarov, V.V., Spravochnik po rastvorimosti (Solubility Handbook), Leningrad: Nauka, 1969, vol.3.Google Scholar
- 14.Veresov, A.G., Putlyaev, V.I., and Tret’yakov, Yu.D., Chemistry of calcium phosphate-based inorganic biomaterials, Ross. Khim. Zh., 2004, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 52–64.Google Scholar
- 15.GOST (State Standard) 31568-2012: Dental Gypsums, 2012 (ISO 6873:1998, MOD).Google Scholar
- 16.Smirnov, V.V., Rau, J.V., Generosi, A., Rossi Albertini, V., Ferro, D., and Barinov, S.M., Elucidation of real-time hardening mechanism of two novel high-strength calcium phosphate bone cements, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B, 2009, vol. 93, pp. 74–83.Google Scholar