Structure and mechanical properties of Ag–Cu films prepared by vacuum codeposition of Au and Cu
- 56 Downloads
We have studied in detail the structure formation process in Ag–Cu films in the course of vacuum deposition of the metals, followed by thermal annealing, and compared the hardness values of nanocrystalline Ag, Cu, and Ag–Cu films. Under equivalent deposition conditions, the hardness of the Ag–Cu films produced by codeposition of the metals exceeds that of the Ag and Cu films. The high hardness of the mixedphase Ag–Cu films is due to their amorphous–nanocrystalline structure. We have determined the limiting grain size above which plastic deformation follows a dislocation mechanism.
KeywordsNanocrystalline Structure Transmission Electron Micro Dislocation Mechanism Indent Depth Alloy Thin Film
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ievlev, V.M., Shvedov, E.V., Ampilogov, V.P., and Merkulov, G.V., Kinetics of diffusional phase separation in growing films of two-component metallic systems with a limited mutual solid solubility of components, Phys. Met. Metallogr., 2000, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 159–163.Google Scholar
- 6.Bol’shov, L.A. and Veshchunov, M.S., Spinodal decomposition and glass transition in eutectic alloy, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1986, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 635–639.Google Scholar
- 7.Misják, A.F., Barna, P.B., and Radnóczi, G., Formation of ordered solid solution during phase separation in Ag–Cu alloy films, Mater. Sci., 2008, vol. 2, pp. 389–390.Google Scholar
- 9.Reshetnyak, E.N. and Strel’nitskii, V.E., Synthesis of hardening nanostructured coatings, Vopr. At. Nauki Tekh., 2008, no. 2, pp. 119–130.Google Scholar
- 11.Pecharsky, V.K. and Zavalij, P.Y., Fundamentals of Powder Diffraction and Structural Characterization of Materials, New York: Springer, 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Powder Diffraction File, Alphabetical Index Inorganic Compounds, Pennsylvania: JCPDS, 1997.Google Scholar
- 14.Labisz, K., Rdzawski, Z., and Pawlyta, M., Microstructure evaluation of long-term aged binary Ag–Cu alloy, Arch. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2011, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 15–24.Google Scholar
- 16.Volinsky, A.A., Vella, J., Adhihetty, I.S., Sarihan, V., Mercado, L., Yeung, B.H., and Gerberich, W.W., Microstructure and mechanical properties of electroplated Cu thin films, Mater. Res. Soc., 2001, vol. 649, pp. 5.3.1–5.3.6.Google Scholar
- 17.Cao, Y., Allameh, S., Nankivil, D., Sethiaraj, S., Otiti, T., and Soboyjo, W., Nanoindentation measurements of the mechanical properties of polycrystalline Au and Ag thin films on silicon substrates: effects of grain size and film thickness, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, 2006, vol. 427, pp. 232–240.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Firstov, S.A., Gorban’, V.F., and Pechkovskii, E.P., New methodological possibilities of evaluating the mechanical properties of advanced materials by automatic indentation, Nauka Innov., 2010, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 7–18.Google Scholar