Microstructure formation in porous calcium phosphate-chitosan bone cements
- 85 Downloads
We have studied the microstructure formation in composite cement materials consisting of amorphous calcium phosphate and chitosan and reinforced with sodium alginate granules, their compressive strength, and the kinetics of their dissolution in an isotonic solution. Hardening in air allowed us to obtain a cement stone with a strength of up to 18 MPa and limiting strain of 6–8%. During hardening in simulated body fluid, the maximum strength decreased to 0.8 MPa, and the strain increased to 25–30%, which was due to the dissolution of the granules and the increase in the elasticity of the chitosan framework. The calcium ion release to the isotonic solution varied nonmonotonically, with a maximum in the initial stage of hardening. The cements are intended for the fabrication of porous matrices in bone tissue regeneration.
KeywordsChitosan Calcium Phosphate Simulated Body Fluid Calcium Phosphate Cement Amorphous Calcium Phosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Safronova, T.V. and Putlyaev, V.I., Medical inorganic materials research in Russia: calcium phosphate materials, Nanosist.: Fiz., Khim., Mat., 2013, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 24–47.Google Scholar
- 3.Barinov, S.M. and Komlev, V.S., Calcium Phosphate Based Bioceramics for Bone Tissue Engineering, Zurich: Trans Tech, 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.Barinov, S.M. and Komlev, V.S., Biokeramika na osnove fosfatov kal’tsiya (Calcium Phosphate-Based Bioceramics), Moscow: Nauka, 2014.Google Scholar
- 5.Takagi, S. and Chow, L., Formation of macropores in calcium-phosphate cement implants, J. Dent. Res., 1995, vol. 74, p. 559.Google Scholar
- 10.Smirnov, V.V., Porous cements for bone tissue defect filling, Materialovedenie, 2009, no. 8, pp. 16–19.Google Scholar
- 11.Nud’ga, L.A., Chitin and chitosan derivatives and their properties, Khitin i khitozan. Poluchenie, svoistva i primenenie (Preparation, Properties, and Applications of Chitin and Chitosan), Skryabin, K.G., Ed., Moscow: Tsentr Bioinzheneriya Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2013.Google Scholar
- 12.Khitozan (sbornik statei) (Chitosan: A Collection of Papers), Skryabin, K.G. et al., Eds., Moscow: Tsentr Bioinzheneriya Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2013.Google Scholar
- 14.Fedotov, A.Yu., Komlev, V.S., Teterina, A.Yu., Barinov, S.M., and Fadeeva, I.V., Deformable bone cements in the calcium phosphate-chitosan system, Materialovedenie, 2013, no. 5, pp. 44–48.Google Scholar