Mössbauer study of oxo derivatives of iron in the Fe2O3-Na2O2 system
- 76 Downloads
Various compositions of oxo derivatives of iron reacting with sodium peroxide have been studied by Mössbauer spectroscopy. We have examined several mathematical models of the measured spectra. The results obtained are inconsistent with hypotheses made previously that such conditions may lead to the formation of compounds of iron in oxidation states above (6+). We demonstrate that a large excess of an alkali peroxide leads, most likely, to the formation of at least two iron(V) derivatives in tetrahedral coordination. In their Mössbauer spectra, they have isomer shifts of −0.45 and −0.51 mm/s and unusually large quadrupole splittings: 1.32 and 1.94 mm/s (at room temperature).
KeywordsIron Atom Isomer Shift Quadrupole Splitting Iron Compound Sodium Ferrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wilke, M., Farges, F., Petit, P.-E., et al., Oxidation state and coordination of Fe in minerals: An Fe K-XANES spectroscopic study, Am. Mineral., 2001, vol. 86, p. 714.Google Scholar
- 8.Goralevich, D.K., Studies of higher group VIII oxygen compounds, Zh. Ros. Fiz.-Khim. O-va, Ser. Khim., 1926, vol. 58, no. 8, p. 1129.Google Scholar
- 9.Perfil’ev, Yu.D., Kopelev, N.S., Kiselev, Yu.M., and Spitsyn, V.I., Mössbauer study of octavalent iron, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1987, vol. 296, no. 6, p. 1406.Google Scholar
- 10.Dedushenko, S.K., Perfil’ev, Yu.D., and Kornilova, A.A., RF Patent 2 448 055.Google Scholar
- 12.Afanas’ev, A.M. and Chuev, M.A., Discrete versions of Mössbauer spectra, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1995, vol. 107, no. 3, p. 989.Google Scholar
- 16.Menil, F., Systematic trends of the 57Fe Mossbauer isomer shifts in (FeOn) and (FeFn) polyhedra. Evidence of a new correlation between the isomer shift and the inductive effect of the competing bond T-X (→Fe) (where X is o or F and T any element with a formal positive charge), J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 1985, vol. 46, p. 763.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Tran, V.T. and Hendrickx, M.F.A., Description of the geometric and electronic structures responsible for the photoelectron spectrum of FeO4−, J. Chem. Phys., 2011, vol. 135, paper 094 505.Google Scholar
- 27.Pankratov, D.A., Dement’ev, A.I., and Kiselev, Yu.M., Ab initio calculations of hydroxoplatinum compounds: II. Binuclear platinum(IV) superoxo complexes, Russ. J. Inorg. Chem., 2008, vol. 53, no. 2, p. 247.Google Scholar
- 28.Ippolitov, E.G., Tripol’skaya, T.A., Prikhodchenko, P.V., and Pankratov, D.A., Potassium hexahydroperoxostannate: Synthesis and structure, Russ. J. Inorg. Chem., 2001, vol. 46, no. 6, p. 851.Google Scholar
- 29.Pankratov, D.A., Prikhodchenko, P.V., Perfil’ev, Yu.D., et al., Mössbauer spectroscopy of alkali hydroperoxostannates, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz., 2001, vol. 65, no. 7, p. 1043.Google Scholar