Solid-state field-assisted silver diffusion in (TeO2)0.6(WO3)0.25(La2O3)0.05(Na2O)0.1 glass
- 88 Downloads
Silver-doped layers have been produced in (TeO2)0.6(WO3)0.25(La2O3)0.05(Na2O)0.1 (TWLN) glass by solid-state field-assisted diffusion. The silver concentration profile in the glass has been determined by secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) and Rutherford backscattering spectrometry (RBS). The Matano-Boltzmann method applied to thermally activated diffusion indicates that the silver diffusion coefficient in the glass is a weak function of silver concentration. We carried out modeling of silver concentration profiles in the doped layer of the TWLN glass after solid-state field-assisted diffusion. Good agreement of the theoretical fit and experimental data suggests that the model chosen can be used to describe solid-state field-assisted diffusion of silver ions in TWLN glasses. Using RBS data, we have quantitatively estimated the surface density of silver atoms after field-assisted diffusion. Combining SIMS and RBS, we were able to assess the absolute silver concentration depth profile. Our results demonstrate that field-assisted diffusion, a simple and effective procedure for doping optical glasses, can be used to produce planar waveguide structures based on the tellurite glass studied here.
KeywordsRutherford Backscattering Spectrometry Tellurite Glass Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry Spectrum Glass Waveguide Silver Diffusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rolli, R., Chiasera, A., Montagna, M., et al., Rare-Earth Doped Materials and Devices, Proc. SPIE-Int. Soc. Opt. Eng., 2001, p. 109.Google Scholar
- 2.Findakly, T., Glass Waveguides by Ion Exchange: A Review, Opt. Eng., 1985, vol. 24, pp. 244–250.Google Scholar
- 5.Nunzi Conti, G., Berneschi, S., et al., Rare Earth Doped Tungsten Tellurite Glasses and Waveguides: Fabrication and Characterization, J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 2004, vol. 343, pp. 345–346.Google Scholar
- 6.Nebolova, P., Spirkova, J., Perina, V., et al., A Study of the Preparation and Properties of Copper-Containing Optical Planar Glass Waveguides, Solid State Ionics, 2001, vol. 609, pp. 141–142.Google Scholar
- 10.Mehrer, H., Diffusion in Solids. Fundamentals, Methods, Materials, Diffusion-Controlled Processes, Berlin: Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- 17.El-Mallawany Raouf, A.H.L., London: CRC Press LLC, 2002.Google Scholar