Activation of metallic aluminum by tin and gallium chlorides in oxidation with water
- 136 Downloads
We have studied the effect of gallium chloride and tin chloride solutions on the water oxidation of aluminum at SnCl2 concentrations of 0.68 and 6.32 wt %, GaCl3 concentrations of 0.56 and 2.67 wt %, and MCl n : Al(M = Sn, Ga; n = 2, 3) molar ratios from 0.017 to 0.3. The results indicate that, when aluminum is oxidized in the presence of these salts, the reaction rate and hydrogen yield increase with reaction temperature and salt concentration and reach the highest levels when a mixture of gallium and tin chlorides is used. The reaction products are identified and the likely mechanism of the processes involved in the oxidation of aluminum is discussed.
KeywordsGallium Aluminum Powder Water Oxidation Hydrogen Release Metallic Aluminum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kogen, J.B. and Ormondi, R., Berl. Ber., 1895, vol. 28, p. 1983.Google Scholar
- 2.Kozin, L.F., Sokol’skii, D.V., Samurzina, R.G., et al., USSR Inventor’s Certificate no. 945 061, 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.Kozin, L.F. and Samurzina, R.G., Aluminum-Gallium Alloys: Rate of Reaction with Water and Microstructure, Zh. Prikl. Khim. (Leningrad), 1981, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 2176–2180.Google Scholar
- 4.Kozin, L.F., Sakharenko, V.A., and Budarina, A.N., Kinetics and Mechanism of Reaction between Activated Aluminum and Water, Ukr. Khim. Zh. (Russ. Ed.), 1984, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 161–169.Google Scholar
- 5.Kolbenev, I.L., Volynets, N.F., Samurzina, R.G., et al., Kinetics of Hydrogen Release in Reactions between Powders of Some Aluminum Alloys and Water, Probl. Mashinostr., 1988, vol. 29, pp. 61–65.Google Scholar
- 6.Parmuzina, A.V., Kravchenko, O.V., Bulychev, B.M., et al., Water Oxidation of Aluminum As a Hydrogen Generation Method, Izv. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Khim., 2009, no. 3, pp. 483–488.Google Scholar
- 7.Bersh, A.V., Ivanov, Yu.L., Mazalov, Yu.A., et al., RF Patent 2 278 077, 2005.Google Scholar
- 8.Lur’e, B.A., Chernyshev, A.E., Perova, N.N., and Svetlov, B.S., Kinetics of Reactions of Aluminum with Water and Aqueous Alkali Solutions, Kinet. Katal., 1976, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1453–1458.Google Scholar
- 9.Semishin, V.I., Effect of Metals on the Water of Crystallization of Crystalline Hydrates, Zh. Obshch. Khim., 1940, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 319–327.Google Scholar
- 10.Semishin, V.I., General Aspects of the Structure and Properties of Crystalline Hydrates, Zh. Obshch. Khim., 1940, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 335–337.Google Scholar