Conductivity of the nanostructured ceramic material Zr0.88Sc0.1Ce0.01Y0.01O1.955 prepared from mechanically activated powders
- 53 Downloads
The structure of the Zr0.88 Sc0.1Ce0.01Y0.01O1.955 solid solution, a candidate for the use as a solid electrolyte in fuel cells with a low temperature, has been investigated using x-ray powder diffraction and Raman spectroscopy. Single-phase ceramic materials have been produced from powders prepared by the mechanochemical synthesis from ZrO2 nanoprecursors purified of the impurities introduced during grinding of commercial zirconia. The solid solution has a rhombohedral structure at room temperature owing to the partial ordering of oxygen vacancies. The electrical conductivity of the ceramic materials sintered at temperatures below 1570 K exhibits a hysteresis due to the delay of the martensitic transition from the cubic phase to the rhombohedral phase upon cooling of the sample. The nanostructured ceramic materials are characterized by a high mechanical strength and unusually close values of the activation energies for bulk and grain-boundary electrical conduction.
KeywordsZirconia Ceramic Material Solid State Ionic Mechanochemical Synthesis Martensitic Transition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13.Smirnova, A., Sadykov, V., [!] Muzykantov, V., et al., Scandia-Stabilized Zirconia: Effect of Dopants on Surface/Grain Boundary Segregation and Transport Properties, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 2007, vol. 972, p. 0972-AA10–05.Google Scholar
- 14.Zevalkink, A., Hunter, A., Swanson, M., et al., Processing and Characterization of Sc2O3-CeO2-ZrO2 Electrolyte Based Intermediate Temperature Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 2007, vol. 972, p. 0972-AA03–04.Google Scholar
- 15.Zyryanov, V.V., Uvarov, N.F., and Sadykov, V.A., Mechanochemical Synthesis of Solid Solutions Based on ZrO2 and Their Electrical Conductivity, Fiz. Khim. Stekla, 2007, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. [!]546–555 [Glass Phys. Chem. (Engl. transl.), 2007, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. [394–401].Google Scholar
- 19.Zyryanov, V.V. and Kostrovskii, V.G., Polymorphism of ZrO2 Nanopowders and Mechanochemical Synthesis of Zr0.88Sc0.1Ce0.01Y0.01O1.955, Neorg. Mater., 2008, vol. 44, no. 11 (in press) [Inorg. Mater. (Engl. transl.), 2008, vol. 44, no. 11 (in press)].Google Scholar
- 20.Zyryanov, V.V., A Method for the Preparation of Grinding Bodies Prior to Milling of a Dielectric Material in a Tumbling Mill, USSR Inventor’s Certificate no. 1536 573, 1989.Google Scholar
- 22.Zyryanov, V.V. and Paichadze, K.S., Mechanochemical Synthesis and Sintering of Complex Perovskites and Layer Perovskites for Membrane Applications, in Abstracts of the Asian Symposium Advanced Materials (ASAM), Vladivostok, Russia, 2007, Vladivostok, 2007, p. 114.Google Scholar
- 26.Zyryanov, V.V., Uvarov, N.F., Kostrovskii, V.G., et al., Design of New Oxide Ceramic Materials and Nanocomposites with Mixed Conductivity by Using Mechanical Activation Route, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 2003, vol. 755, p. DD.6.27.1–6.Google Scholar