Kinetics of Deuterium Gas-Discharge Plasma in the Resonator of a Neutron Generator in Electron-Cyclotron Resonance Mode
- 16 Downloads
The results of numerical simulation of the microwave discharge kinetics in molecular deuterium in electron-cyclotron resonance mode are presented for a description of the physical processes in the resonator of a neutron generator. The calculations have been carried out in an approximation of homogeneous electric and magnetic fields, as well as the Maxwellian electron energy distribution function. In the kinetic scheme, the reactions of excitation, dissociation, ionization, and recombination of deuterium atoms and molecules, as well as elastic collisions, were taken into account. As a result, the time dependences of the number density and temperature of the plasma components at different electric and magnetic field intensities and the initial number density of molecular deuterium are obtained. The values of the fields corresponding to the minimum ionization time are determined, and the maximum ion current extracted from the microwave discharge is estimated.
The work was supported by the Ministry of Science and Education of the Russian Federation under the agreement no. 14.575.21.0169 (RFMEFI57517X0169).
- 1.Vainionpaa, J.H., Gough, R., Hoff, M., et al., in Proc. Particle Accelerator Conf., Albuquerque: Inst. Electr. Electron. Eng., 2007, 9889878.Google Scholar
- 2.Vainionpaa, J.H., Allan, X.C., Melvin, A.P., et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B, 2015, vol. 350, p. 88.Google Scholar
- 3.Bitulev, A.A., Rumyantsev, G.S., Churin, S.V., and Shchitov, N.N., Usp. Prikl. Fiz., 2014, vol. 2, no. 3, p. 303.Google Scholar
- 4.Bogolyubov, E.P. and Vasin, V.S., RF Patent 2 372 755, 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.Ginzburg, V.L. and Rukhadze, A.A., Volny v magnitoaktivnoi plazme (Waves in Magnetoactive Plasma), Moscow: Nauka, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.Storozhev, D.A., Numerical simulation of the ionization and dissociation kinetics of hydrogen in a Penning discharge plasma in the LTE approximation, Fiz.-Khim. Kinet. Gaz. Din., 2014, vol. 15, no. 3.Google Scholar
- 10.Storozhev, D.A. and Kuratov, S.E., J. Phys.: Conf. Serю, 2017, vol. 815, no. 1, 012002.Google Scholar
- 13.Shakhatov, V.A., Lebedev, Yu.A., Lacoste, A., and Bechu, S., Usp. Prikl. Fiz., 2017, vol. 5, no. 3, p. 249.Google Scholar
- 17.Stepanov, D.S., Chebotarev, A.V., and Shkolnikov, E.Ya., in Proc. Int. Conf. on Actual Problems of Electron Devices Engineering, Saratov: IEEE Xplore, 2016, vol. 2, 7879076.Google Scholar
- 18.Landau, L.D., Fizicheskaya kinetika (Physical Kinetics), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2007.Google Scholar
- 19.Zhizhong Song, Shixiang Peng, Jinxiang Yu, et al., Rev. Sci. Instrum., 2006, vol. 77, 03A305.Google Scholar
- 20.Kwan, J.W., Gough, R., Keller, R., et al., High Energy Phys. Nucl. Phys., 2007, vol. 31, p. 232.Google Scholar