High-frequency actuator control of air flow near a circular cylinder: Impact of the discharge parameters on the cylinder aerodynamic drag
- 79 Downloads
The impact of capacitive high-frequency surface discharge on a flow around a circular cylinder is studied at airflow velocity of 20–100 m/s and the Reynolds numbers Re < 2.4 × 105. The power of the discharge was modulated at a frequency of 102–104 Hz, corresponding to the Strouhal number St = 0.1–10. It is shown that the distribution of pressure in the wake behind the cylinder is significantly influenced by the discharge. A decrease in the average diameter of the wake is observed. The parameters of the discharge were measured: the gas temperature, heating rate in the discharge region, and velocity of discharge propagation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Velkoff, H. and Ketchman, J., AIAA J., 1968, vol. 16, p. 1381.Google Scholar
- 3.Bushnell, D., AIAA Pap., 1983, p. 83–0227.Google Scholar
- 4.Malik, M.R., Weinstein, L., and Hussaini, M.Y., AIAA Pap., 1983, p. 83–0231.Google Scholar
- 5.Soetomo, F., MS Thesis, Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University, 1992, p. 5.Google Scholar
- 6.Roth, J.R., Sherman, D.M., and Wilkinson, S.P., AIAA Pap., 1998, p. 98–0328.Google Scholar
- 7.Roth, J.R., in Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science, Raleigh, North Carolina, June 1–4, 1998, Raleigh, 1998, p. 272.Google Scholar
- 8.Mclaughlin, T.E., AIAA J., 2004, p. 2004–2129.Google Scholar
- 9.Shunsuke Yamada, Koui Shibata, Hitoshi Ishikawa, Shinji Honami, and Masahiro Motosuke, AIAA J., 2010, p. 2010–549.Google Scholar
- 12.Laux, C.O., in Von Karman Institute Lecture Series 2002–07: Physico-Chemical Modeling of High Enthalpy and Plasma Flows, Fletcher, D., Charbonnier, J.-M., Sarma, G.S.R., and Magin, T., Eds., Rhode-Saint-Genuse, Belgium, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Little, J., Nishihara, M., Adamovich, I., and Samimy, M., AIAA J., 2009, p. 2009–145.Google Scholar