The Effect of Modification by Direct-Current Discharge on the Surface Properties, Chemical Structure, and Morphology of Poly(ethylene terephtalate) Films
- 3 Downloads
The contact properties, chemical structure and surface morphology of poly(ethylene terephthalate) films modified by direct-current discharge at the cathode and anode have been studied. A substantial improvement in wettability and an increase in total surface energy and its polar term, which are retained upon storage in air at ambient conditions, have been shown. The change in the chemical structure of the plasma-modified films has been studied by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, and the formation of a significant amount of oxygen-containing groups on the surface has been demonstrated. The investigation of the modified films by atomic force microscopy and scanning electron microscopy has provided revealed a change in morphology of the surface and an increase in its roughness.
Keywords:poly(ethylene terephthalate) direct-current discharge modification at the anode and cathode wettability chemical structure surface morphology of films
The study was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 18-32-00901 (XPS, AFM, and SEM studies).
- 1.Pak, V.M. and Trubachev, S.G., Novye materialy i sistemy izolyatsii vysokovol’tnykh elektricheskikh mashin (Novel Insulation Materials and Systems for High-Voltage Electrical Machines), Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.Drachev, A.I., Pak, V.M., Gilman, A.B., and Kuznetsov, A.A., Elektrotekhnika, 2002, no. 4, p. 19.Google Scholar
- 3.Drachev, A.I., Pak, V.M., Gilman, A.B., and Kuznetsov, A.A., Elektrotekhnika, 2003, no. 4, p. 35.Google Scholar
- 4.Endo, T., Reddy, L., Nishikawa, H., Kaneko, S., Nakamura, Y., and Endo, K., Procedia Eng. J, 2017, vol. 171, p. 88.Google Scholar
- 6.Vesel, A. and Mozetic, M., J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 2017, vol. 50, no. 29, p. P.112536.Google Scholar
- 7.Polymer Surface Modification: Relevance to Adhesion, Mittal, K.L., Ed., Utrecht: VSP, 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.Pocius, A.V., Adhesion and Adhesive Technology, Munich: Carl Hanser, 2002, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- 11.Al-Maliki, H., Zsidai, L., Samyn, P., Szakal, Z., Keresztes, R., and Kalacska, G., Polym. Eng. Sci., 2017, p. 1002.Google Scholar
- 15.Demina, T.S., Drozdova, M.G., Yablokov, M.Y., Gaidar, A.I., Gilman, A.B., Zaytseva-Zotova, D.S., Markvicheva, E.A., Akopova, T.A., and Zelenetskii, A.N., Plasma Process. Polym., 2015, vol. 12, no. 8, p. P. 710.Google Scholar
- 16.Wu, S., Polymer Interfaces and Adhesion, New York: Marcel Dekker, 1982, p. 152.Google Scholar
- 17.Beamson, G. and Briggs, D., High Resolution XPS of Organic Polymers: The Scienta ESCA300 Database, Chichester: Wiley, 1992.Google Scholar