Estimate of Variations in the Parameters of the Midlatitude Lower Ionosphere Caused by the Solar Flare of September 10, 2017
- 22 Downloads
Changes in the state of the D and E ionospheric regions lead to variations in the amplitude-phase characteristics of VLF radio signals. The existing theoretical and empirical models of the propagation of low-frequency electromagnetic waves qualitatively describe the relative variations in the parameters of the lower ionosphere associated with strong heliogeophysical disturbances; however, these models do not allow estimation of the absolute value and distribution of the electron concentration. We used the measurement data for the amplitude-phase characteristics of VLF radio signals with different frequencies propagating along two closely spaced paths. This made it possible not only to quantify the parameters of the D region of the ionosphere on a spatial scale of thousands of kilometers during the powerful solar flare of September 10, 2017 but also to restore the electron concentration profile before the onset of X-ray radiation.
The study was performed as part of the state assignment АААА-А17-117112350014-8.
- 1.Basak, T. and Chakrabarti, S.K., Effective recombination coefficient and solar zenith angle effects on low-latitude D-region ionosphere evaluated from VLF signal amplitude and its time delay during X-ray solar flares, Astrophys. Space Sci., 2013, vol. 348, pp. 315–326. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10509-013-1597-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Clilverd, M.A., Seppala, A., Rodger, C.J., Thomson, N.R., Verronen, P.T., Turunen, E., Ulich, T., Lichtenberger, J., and Steinbach, P., Modeling polar ionospheric effects during the October–November 2003 solar proton events, Radio Sci., 2006, vol. 41, RS2001. https://doi.org/10.1029/2005RS003290 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Ferguson, J.A., Computer Programs for Assessment of Long-Wavelength Radio Communications, Version 2.0, Technical document 3030, San Diego: Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Gavrilov, B.G., Zetser, Yu.I., Ryakhovskii, I.A., Poklad, Yu.V., and Ermak, V.M., Remote sensing of ELF/VLF radiation induced in experiments on artificial modification of the ionosphere, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2015, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 450–456.Google Scholar
- 8.Hayakawa, M., Molchanov, O.A., Ondoh, T., and Kawai, E., The precursory signature effect of the Kobe earthquake on VLF subionospheric signals, J. Commun. Res. Lab., 1996, vol. 43, pp. 169–180.Google Scholar
- 10.Kozlov, S.I., Lyakhov, A.N., and Bekker, S.Z., Key principles of constructing probabilistic statistical ionosphere models for the radiowave propagation problems, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2014, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 750–762.Google Scholar
- 20.Wait, J.R. and Spies, K.P., Characteristics of the Earth–ionosphere waveguide for VLF radio waves, NBS Technical Note 300, 1964.Google Scholar