Reconstruction of Centennial Series of Solar Activity
The results of the digitalization of the centennial series of solar activity are considered. The data contain information on sunspots since 1918, sunspot umbra since 1917, plages since 1907, and spectral corona since 1939. In particular the digitalization of prominences from the observations in the Ca II K line in 1910–1954 and solar filaments from the observations in the H-alpha line in 1912–2002 acquired at the Kodaikanal Observatory are described. The methods of constructing composite maps of solar activity and presenting the resulting data series on the Internet are described. The long-term variations in solar activity are analyzed.
The study is supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 18-02-00098-а, and the Russian Scientific Foundation, project no. 15-12-20001.
- 2.Illarionov, E. A. and Tlatov, A.G., Development of a solar activity atlas, Izv. Krym. Astron. Obs., 2018 (in press).Google Scholar
- 5.McIntosh, P.S., Inference of solar magnetic polarities from H-alpha observations, in Solar Activity Observations and Predictions (Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics), MIT, 1972, vol. 30, pp. 65–92.Google Scholar
- 6.Ortiz, A. and Rast, M., How good is the Ca II K as a proxy for the magnetic flux?, Mem. Soc. Astron. Ital., 2005, vol. 76, pp. 1018–1021.Google Scholar
- 7.Pevtsov, A.A., Virtanen, I., Mursula, K., Tlatov, A., and Bertello, L., Reconstructing solar magnetic fields from historical observations. I. Renormalized Ca K spectroheliograms and pseudo-magnetograms, Astron. Astrophys., 2016, vol. 585, id A40.Google Scholar
- 11.Tlatov, A.G., Skorbehz, N.N., and Ershov, V.N., Numerical processing of sunspot images using the digitised long-term archive of the RGO observatory, ASP Conf. Ser., 2016b, vol. 504, p. 237.Google Scholar
- 12.Tlatova, K.A. and Nagnibeda, V.G., Prominence characteristics in 16th activity cycle, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2017, vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 829–834.Google Scholar
- 13.Tlatova, K.A., Vasil’yeva, V.V., and Pevtsov, A.A., Long-term variations in the sunspot magnetic fields and bipole properties from 1918 to 2014, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2015, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 896–901.Google Scholar
- 14.Vasil’eva, V.V., Reconstruction of synoptic maps of large-scale magnetic fields for 1880–1914, in Trudy konf.: Novyi tsikl aktivnosti Solntsa: nablyudatel’nye i teoreticheskie aspekty (Proceedings of the Conference New Cycle of Solar Activity: Observational and Theoretical Aspects), St. Petersburg, GAO RAN, 1998, pp. 213–216.Google Scholar