Latitude-Longitude Characteristics of the North–South Asymmetry of Solar Activity
The characteristics of the latitude-longitude distribution of the north–south (NS) asymmetry of the number of sunspots for the period of 1874–2013 are studied. It is shown that there is an NS asymmetry of the sunspot number in all latitude-longitude ranges in which solar activity is manifested. Longitude ranges that exist for quite a long time in which the activity of the northern or southern hemisphere predominates are selected. It is found that the NS asymmetry of the sunspot number for the Sun as a whole is determined to a greater extent by the asynchronous development of activity in the northern and southern hemispheres.
- 1.Badalyan, O.G., Cyclic changes in spatial “structures” of the north–south asymmetry, in 8-ya Konferentsiya “Fizika plazmy v solnechnoi sisteme” 4–8 fevralya 2013 g., Sbornik tezisov (Book of Abstracts of the 8th Conference “Physics of Plasma in the Solar Ssystem”, February 4–8, 2013), Moscow: IKI RAN, 2013, p. 20.Google Scholar
- 2.Plyusnina, L.A., The north–south asymmetry and cyclic changes in the productivity of active longitudes, in Klimaticheskie i ekologicheskie aspekty solnechnoi aktivnosti: Sb. trudov (Climatic and Environmental Aspects of Solar Activity: Collection of Works), St. Petersburg, GAO RAN, 2003, pp. 353–358.Google Scholar
- 3.Vertlib, A.B., Kopetskii, M., and Kuklin, G.V., History of the use of expansion of some activity indices in natural orthogonal functions, in Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa (Studies on Geomagnetism, Aeronomy, and Solar Physics), Irkutsk, 1971, vol. 2, pp. 194–209.Google Scholar
- 4.Vitinsky, Yu.I., Morfologiya solnechnoi aktivnosti (The Morphology of Solar Activity), Moscow: Nauka, 1966.Google Scholar
- 5.Vitinsky, Yu.I., Kopecký, M., and Kuklin, G.V., Statistika pyatnoobrazovatel’noi deyatel’nosti Solntsa (The Statistics of Sunspot Formation Activity), Moscow: Nauka, 1986.Google Scholar