Features of the Solar Wind Plasma Flow around the Earth’s Magnetosphere
The change in the properties of the solar wind flow as it crosses the bow shock wave front and moves in the Earth’s magnetosheath are discussed. Solar wind data are used to study the refraction of magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) shock waves and the stationary tangential discontinuity of the solar wind into the magnetosheath. It is shown that the refraction of the solar-wind rotational discontinuity into the magnetosheath is accompanied by the emergence of a plateau-type plasma inhomogeneity with respect to the density of charged particles, with a simultaneous decrease in the magnetic field intensity. Moreover, the breaking of the secondary MHD contraction wave, reflected from the magnetopause, may be accompanied by the emergence of a fast reverse shock wave.
This work was supported in part by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences, program no. P28.
- 7.Grib, S.A. and Leora, S.N., Features in the behavior of the solar wind behind the bow shock front near the boundary of the Earth’s magnetosphere, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2017, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1073–1076.Google Scholar
- 9.Grib, S.A., Pushkar, E.A., and Leora, S.N., Some sources of plasma inhomogeneities in the solar wind in front of the Earth’s magnetosphere, Geomagn. Aeron. (Engl. Transl.), 2016, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 45–49.Google Scholar
- 12.Kulikovskii, G.A. and Lyubimov, A., Magnitnaya gidrodi-namika (Magnetohydrodynamics), Moscow: Logos, 2005.Google Scholar
- 14.Parkhomov, V.F., Borodkova, N.L., Eselevich, V.G., Eselevich, M.V., Dmitriev, A.V., and Chilikin, V.E., Features of the impact of the solar wind diamagnetic structure on Earth’s magnetosphere, Sol-Terr. Phys., 2017, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 44–57. doi 10.12737/stp-34201705Google Scholar
- 15.Pushkar’, E.A., Collision of solar wind shock wave and near-Earth bow shock in a strong IMF: a three-dimensional MHD model, Izv. MGIU, Inf. Tekh. Model., 2008, no. 1, pp. 46–74.Google Scholar
- 16.Roberts, O.W., Li, X., and Li, B., Observations of Alfvén vortices in the fast solar wind, UK Sol. Phys., June 23, 2013.Google Scholar