On the magnetic precursor of the Chilean earthquake of February 27, 2010
- 81 Downloads
Some recent publications reported on an anomalous geomagnetic disturbance that was observed three days before the strongest Chilean earthquake on February 27, 2010. The present paper analyzes in detail the data from magnetic station, photometers, and riometers in Canada, Chile, and Antarctica. The analysis unambiguously shows that the supposedly anomalous geomagnetic disturbance was not related to seismic activity and was caused by a standard isolated substorm.
KeywordsMagnetic Storm Geomagnetic Activity Neutron Generation Geomagnetic Disturbance Earthquake Epicenter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belov, S.V., Shestopalov, I.P., Kharin, E.P., Soloviev, A.A., and Barkin, Yu.V., Volcanic and seismic activity of the Earth: Spatiotemporal regularities and relationship with the solar and geomagnetic activities, Vestn. Mosk. Gos. Otkrytogo Univ. Nov. Tekhnol., 2010, no. 2, pp. 3–12.Google Scholar
- Foppiano, A.J., Ovalle, E.M., Bataille, K., and Stepanova, M., Ionospheric evidence of the May 1960 earthquake over Concepcion? Geofis. Int., 2008, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 179–183.Google Scholar
- Gjerloev, J.W., The SuperMAG data processing technique, J. Geophys. Res., vol. 117, p. A09213. doi 10.1029/2012JA017638Google Scholar
- L’Huissier, P., Dominguez, M., Gallo, N., Tapia, M.J., Pinto, V.A., Moya, P.S., Stepanova, M.V., Munoz, V., Rogan, J., and Valdivia, J.A., Is there a relationship between solar activity and earthquakes? Proc. AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, 2012, abstr. no. NH41A-1582.Google Scholar
- Mann, I.R., Milling, D.K., Rae, I.J., Ozeke, L.G., Kale, A., Kale, Z.C., Murphy, K.R., Parent, A., Usanova, M., Pahud, D.M., Lee, E.-A., Amalraj, V., Wallis, D.D., Angelopoulos, V., Glassmeier, K.-H., Russell, C.T., Auster, H.-U., and Singer, H.J., The upgraded CARISMA magnetometer array in the THEMIS era, Space Sci. Rev., 2008, vol. 141, pp. 413–451.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Newell, P.T. and Gjerloev, J.W., Evaluation of SuperMAG auroral electrojet indices as indicators of substorms and auroral power, J. Geophys. Res., vol. 116, p. A12211.Google Scholar
- Shestopalov, I.P., Belov, S.V., Soloviev, A.A., Kharin, E.P., and Kuz’min, Yu.D., On neutron generation and geomagnetic field disturbances prior to the catastrophic Chilean earthquake of February 27, 2010, Vestn. Mosk. Gos. Otkrytogo Univ., Tekhn. Tekhnol., 2011a, no. 1, pp. 66–75.Google Scholar
- Shestopalov, I.P., Belov, S.V., Kharin, E.P., Soloviev, A.A., and Kuzmin, Yu.D., Neutron generation and peculiarities of geomagnetic field disturbances in the beriod preceding the catastrophic Mw 8.8 Chilean earthquake of February 27, 2010, in Sovremennoe sostoyanie nauk o Zemle (State-of-the-Art of the Earth Sciences), Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 2011b, pp. 2105–2109.Google Scholar
- Shestopalov, I.P., Belov, S.V., Soloviev, A.A., and Kuzmin, Yu.D., Neutron generation and geomagnetic disturbances in connection with the Chilean earthquake of February 27, 2010 and a volcanic eruption in Iceland in March–April 2010, Geomagn. Aeron., 2013, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 124–136.CrossRefGoogle Scholar