Instrumental data on the sunspot formation in the 17th–18th centuries: Correct information or approximations
- 54 Downloads
The available data on the sunspot number derived from telescopic observations are analyzed. It has been indicated that uncertainty in the data on the number of sunspot groups is close to 30% for the 17th century-the early 19th century and reaches a factor of 2 and more in individual years. This means that the above data include limited information on solar activity in the 17th–18th centuries and it is necessary to use external sources (first of all, the data of paleoastrophysics) in order to study this activity in the indicated epoch. Only from the middle of the 19th century, information obtained based on instrumental observations became sufciently accurate for reliable quantitative estimates.
KeywordsSolar Activity Sunspot Number Instrumental Data Maunder Minimum Wolf Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gnevyshev, M.N., Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., and Nagovitsyna, E.Yu., Study of the stability and comparison of different Wolf number series, Soln. Dannye, 1985, no. 2, pp. 72–79.Google Scholar
- Gnevyshev, M.N., Nagovitsyn, Yu.A., and Nagovitsyna, E.Yu., Soln. Dannye, 1986, no. 3, pp. 57–62.Google Scholar
- Kopecky, M. and Kuklin, G.V., On the relative inhomogeneity of long-term series of sunspot indices, Bull. Astron. Inst. Czech., 1980, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 267–283.Google Scholar
- Legrand, J.P., Le Goff, M., Mazaudier, C., and Schroder, W., Solar and auroral activities during the seventeenth century, Acta Geod., Geophys. Montanist. Hung., 1992, vol. 27, no. 2–4, pp. 251–282.Google Scholar
- Ogurtsov, M.G. and Jungner, H., Temporal evolution of statistical features of the sunspot cycles, Adv. Space Res., 2011.Google Scholar
- Ribes, J.C. and Nesme-Ribes, E., The solar sunspot cycle in the Maunder minimum AD 1645 to AD 1715, Astron. Astrophys., 1993, vol. 276, pp. 549–563.Google Scholar
- Schove, D.J., Sunspot Cycles., Stroudsburg: Hutchinson Ross Publ., 1983.Google Scholar
- Vitinsky, Yu.I., Kopetsky, M., and Kuklin, G.V., Statistika pyatnoobrazovatel’noi deyatel’nosti Solntsa (Sunspot Formation Activity Statistics), Moscow: Nauka, 1986.Google Scholar
- Waldmeier, M., The sunspot activity in the years 1610–1960, Zurich: Schulthess, 1961.Google Scholar