Geomagnetic activity as a reflection of processes in the magnetospheric tail: 1. The source of diurnal and semiannual variations in geomagnetic activity
- 59 Downloads
Diurnal and semiannual variations in geomagnetic activity are considered. We prove that there exists an inner magnetospheric source of magnetic activity, which depends on the angle φ between the planes of the magnetotail plasma sheet and the geomagnetic equator. It is shown that diurnal and semiannual variations in magnetic activity result from changes in the value of this angle.
KeywordsSolar Wind Diurnal Variation Interplanetary Magnetic Field Geomagnetic Activity Plasma Sheet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cortie, A.L., Sunspot and terrestrial magnetic phenomena, 1898–1911: The cause of the annual variation of magnetic disturbances, Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc., 1912, vol. 73, pp. 52–60.Google Scholar
- Danilov, A.A., Statsionarnaya struktura mezhplanetnogo magnitnogo polya i geomagnitnaya aktivnost’ (Stationary Structure of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field and Geomagnetic Activity), Yakutsk: YaNTs SO RAN, 1993.Google Scholar
- Danilov, A.A. and Sokolov, V.D., Auroral absorption and electric fields in the magnetosphere, Geomagn. Aeron., 2001, vol. 41, pp. 436–444.Google Scholar
- Geomagnetic data, IAGA Bull., 1972–1976, no. 32.Google Scholar
- Mishin, V.M. and Shelomentsev, V.V., Artificial and real geomagnetic effects of the IMF sector structure, Issled. Geomagn. Aeron. Fiz. Solntsa, 1975, no. 36, pp. 74–88.Google Scholar