Pore-Scale Investigation of Two-Phase Flows in Three-Dimensional Digital Models of Natural Sandstones
The results of numerical simulation of the processes of two-phase flow through a porous medium in three-dimensional digital models of the porous space of three natural sandstone samples are given. The calculations are carried out using the lattice Boltzmann equations and the digital field gradient model over a wide range of the capillary numbers and the viscosity ratios of injected and displaced fluids. The conditions of flow through a porous medium with capillary fingering, viscous fingering and with stable displacement front are revealed.
Key wordsmathematical simulation X-ray CT heterogeneity of porous space two-phase flows capillary number fingering drainage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.M. Ferer, C. Ji, G. S. Bromhal, J. Cook, G. Ahmadi, and D. H. Smith, “Crossover from Capillary Fingering to Viscous Fingering for Immiscible Unstable Flow: Experiment and Modeling,” Phys. Rev. E. Statistical, Nonlinear, and SoftMatter Phys. 70, 016303 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.S. Leclaire, A. Parmigiani, O. Malaspinas, B. Chopard, and J. Latt, “Generalized Three-Dimensional Lattice Boltzmann Color-Gradient Method for Immiscible Two-Phase Pore-Scale Imbibition and Drainage in Porous Media,” Phys. Rev. E. 95, 033306 (2017).Google Scholar
- 13.S. Berg, H. Ott, S. Klapp, A. Schwing, R. Neiteler, N. Brussee, A. Makurat, L. Leu, F. Enzmann, J.-O. Schwarz, M. Kersten, S. Irvine, and M. Stampanoni, “Real-Time 3D Imaging of Haines Jumps in Porous Media Flow,” Proc. National Academy of Sciences of the USA 10, 3755–3759 (2013).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.R. Mokso, F. Marone, D. Haberthür, J. C. Schittny, G. Mikuljan, A. Isenegger, and M. Stampanoni, “FollowingDynamic Processes by X-ray TomographicMicroscopy,with Sub-Second Temporal Resolution,” in: AIP Conf. Proc., 2011, pp. 38–41.Google Scholar
- 20.X. Shan and H. Chen, “Lattice Boltzmann Model for Simulating Flows with Multiple Phases and Components,” Phys. Rev. 3, 1815–1819 (1993).Google Scholar