Numerical investigation of roll convection stability
- 30 Downloads
This study is devoted to the mathematical modeling of Rayleigh-Bénard convection in a rectangular cavity with rigid boundaries. The stability of the roll motion induced by an initial disturbance of special form is studied on the basis of two-dimensional and three-dimensional calculations. Different patterns of flow restructuring with respect to the wavenumber are analyzed on the Rayleigh number range Ra = 1708–7000 for the Prandtl numbers Pr = 1 and 0.71.
Keywordsconvective stability Rayleigh-Bénard convection numerical modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.A.V. Getling, Rayleigh-Bénard Convection [in Russian], Editorial URSS, Moscow (1999).Google Scholar
- 10.P.C. Horenberg and M.C. Cross, “An Introduction to Pattern Formation in Nonequilibrium Systems,” in: L. Garido (ed.), Lect. Notes in Physics: Fluctuations and Stochastic Phenomena in Condensed Matter. Physics. Vol. 268, Springer, Berlin (1981), p. 55.Google Scholar
- 14.F.H. Busse, “Transition to Turbulence in Rayleigh-Bénard Convection,” in: J.P. Gollub and H.L. Swinney, Hydrodynamic Instabilities and the Transition to Turbulence: Topics in Applied Physics. Vol. 45, Springer, Berlin (1979), p. 97.Google Scholar
- 17.G.Z. Gershuni and E.M. Zhukhovitskii, Convective Stability of Incompressible Fluids [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1972).Google Scholar
- 19.C.A.J. Fletcher, Computational Methods in Fluid Dynamics, Springer, Berlin (1988).Google Scholar
- 20.V.V. Kolmychkov, O.S. Mazhorova, Yu.P. Popov, and E.E. Fedoseev, “Numerical Modeling of the Rayleigh-Bénard Convection,” Russian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Applied Mathematics, Preprint No. 7 (2006).Google Scholar
- 27.O.M. Belotserkovskii, Numerical Modeling in Continuum Mechanics [in Russian] Fizmatlit, Moscow (1994).Google Scholar
- 28.V.V. Kolmychkov, O.S. Mazhorova, and Yu.P. Popov, “Mathematical Modeling of the Convective Mass Transfer in the Spatially Three-Dimensional Case. Part 1. Subcritical Convection,” Russian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Applied Mathematics, Preprint No. 92 (2003).Google Scholar
- 30.W. Eckhaus, Studies in NonLinear Stability Theory, Springer, Berlin (1965).Google Scholar
- 31.V.G. Vasin and M.P. Vlasyuk, “Wavelengths of Two-Dimensional Convective Motions in a Horizontal Fluid Layer Heated from Below,” USSR Academy of Sciences, Institute of Applied Mathematics, Preprint No. 84 (1974).Google Scholar