Direct Observation of Processes at Particle-to-Particle Contacts during Electric Pulse Consolidation of a Titanium Powder
- 8 Downloads
Direct high-speed micro video recording data proved the existence of highly overheated zones at contacts of powder particles through which electric current pulses about 1 ms long were sent. The overheating might exceed 1600 K and could give rise to liquid-phase sintering necks, the sizes of which correlated well with the sizes of the overheated zones. Temperature field microheterogeneities during electric pulse heating of the powder medium gave an insight into unusually high rates of consolidation of powder materials during spark plasma sintering.
We thank S.M. Godin for designing and building an electronic circuit for controlling an electric discharge.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 19–03–00293).
- 2.Hulbert, D.M., Anders, A., Dudina, D.V., Andersson, J., Jiang, D., Unuvar, C., Anselmi-Tamburini, U., Lavernia, E.J., and Mukherjee, A.K., J. Appl. Phys., 2008, vol. 104, pp. 033305(1–7).Google Scholar
- 5.Trzaska, Z., Collard, C., Durand, L., Couret, A., Chaix, J.-M., Fantozzi, G., and Monchoux, J.-P., J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 2019, vol. 102, pp. 654–661.Google Scholar
- 6.Emel'yanov, A.N., Shkiro, V.M., Rogachev, A.S., and Rubtsov, V.I., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Tsvet. Met., 2002, no. 2, pp. 67–70.Google Scholar
- 7.Kochetov, N.A., Rogachev, A.S., Emel’yanov, A.N., Illarionova, E.V., and Shkiro, V.M., Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva, 2004, vol. 40, pp. 74–80.Google Scholar
- 10.Frei, J.M., Anselmi-Tamburini, U., and Munir, Z.A., J. Appl. Phys., 2007, vol. 101, pp. 114914(1–8).Google Scholar