Efficient Numerical Integration Methods for the Cauchy Problem for Stiff Systems of Ordinary Differential Equations
The notion of stiffness of a system of ordinary differential equations is refined. The main difficulties encountered when solving the Cauchy problem for stiff systems are indicated. The advantages of switching to a new argument, the integral curve arc length, are demonstrated. Various mesh step selection criteria are discussed, and the integral curve curvature criterion is recommended. The most reliable implicit and explicit schemes suitable for solving stiff problems are presented. A strategy permitting an asymptotically accurate computation of the error of a numerical solution simultaneously with the solution itself is described. An analysis of chemical kinetics of hydrogen combustion in oxygen with allowance for 9 components and 50 reactions between them is provided as an illustration.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hairer, E. and Wanner, G., Solving Ordinary Differential Equations: II. Stiff and Differential-Algebraic Problems, Springer Ser. Comput. Math., Springer, 1996, Vol. 14.Google Scholar
- 4.Rakitskii, Yu.V., Ustinov, S.M., and Chernorutskii, I.G., Chislennye metody resheniya zhestkikh sistem (Numerical Methods for Stiff Systems), Moscow: Nauka, 1979.Google Scholar
- 11.Hairer, E., Norsett, S.P., and Wanner, G., Solving Ordinary Differential Equations: I. Nonstiff Problems, Springer Ser. Comput. Math, Springer, 1993, Vol. 8.Google Scholar
- 12.Kalitkin, N.N. and Koryakin, P.V., Chislennye metody. V 2 kn. (Numerical Methods. In 2 Books), Kn. 2: Metody matematicheskoi fiziki (Methods of Mathematical Physics), Moscow: Akademiya, 2013.Google Scholar
- 18.Galanin, M.P. and Konev, S.A., On one numerical method for solving ordinary differential equations, Prepr. IPM im. M.V. Keldysha, 2017, no. 18.Google Scholar
- 22.Sidorov, A.F. On one algorithm for calculating optimal difference meshes, Tr. Mat. Inst. im. V.A. Steklova Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1966, vol. 74, pp. 147–151.Google Scholar
- 23.Kalitkin, N.N., Chislennye metody (Numerical Methods), Moscow: Nauka, 1978.Google Scholar
- 24.Kalitkin, N.N., Al’shin, A.B., Al’shina, E.A., and Rogov, B.V., Vychisleniya na kvaziravnomernykh setkakh (Calculations on Quasi-Uniform Meshes), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2005.Google Scholar