Variations of ionospheric fluctuations of phase delay depending on solar activity: Data of the COSMIC experiment
- First Online:
- 35 Downloads
We present the results of processing and analysis of more than 4500 events of radio occultation sounding of the Earth’s atmosphere observed in the course of the COSMIC experiment on the limb path ‘satellite-ionosphere-satellite’. Events observed in December 2011 (when a number of solar flares occurred) and in January 2012 (when a strong solar proton event took place) were analyzed. It is shown that small-scale variations of electron density increase in polar latitudes, equatorial region, and midlatitudes of the southern hemisphere in January 2012. In the same period, an increase of large-scale variations of electron density is observed during daylight hours in the equatorial region and in the southern hemisphere. No noticeable distinctions in comparison with days of quiet Sun were observed in December 2011.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Vorob’ev, V.V., Gurvich, A.S., Kan, V., et al., Structure of the ionosphere according to radio occultation by GPS satellites Microlab-1: Preliminary results, Issled. Zemli Kosmosa, 1997, no. 4, pp. 74–83.Google Scholar
- 7.Yakovlev, O.I., Matyugov, S.S., Anufriev, V.A., and Cherkunova, G.P., Sporadic structures and small-scale irregularity in the nighttime polar ionosphere in the period of high solar activity according to the data of radio occultation measurements on satellite-to-satellite paths, Kosm. Issled., 2009, vol. 47, no. 4, p. 291. [Cosmic Research, pp. 259–267].Google Scholar
- 8.Sokolovskiy, S., Schreiner, W., Rocken, C., and Hunt, D., Detection of high-altitude ionospheric irregularities with GPS/MET, Geophys. Res. Lett., 2002, vol. 29, no. 3. doi: 10.1029/2001GLO13398Google Scholar
- 9.Vorob’ev, V.V. and Krasil’nikova, T.G., Estimation of accuracy of reconstruction of atmospheric refractive index from Doppler frequency shift measurements on frequencies used in the NAVSTAR system, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Fizika Atmosfery i Okeana, 1993, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 626–632.Google Scholar
- 11.Vorob’ev, V.V. and Kan, V., Background fluctuations at radio occultation of the ionosphere in the GPS-Microlab-1 experiment, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz., 1999, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 511–523.Google Scholar
- 12.Gorbunov, M.E., Ionospheric correction and statistical optimization of radio occultation data, Radio Sci., 2002, vol. 37, no. 5. doi: 10.1029/2000RS002370Google Scholar
- 14.Kravtsov, Yu.A. and Orlov, Yu.I., Geometricheskaya optika neodnorodnykh sred (Geometrical Optics of Inhomogeneous Media), Moscow: Nauka, 1980.Google Scholar
- 15.Gorbunov, M.E., Perturbation methods in geometrical optics, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz., 1995, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 660–667.Google Scholar