Modeling of response of the thermosphere-ionosphere system to sudden stratospheric warmings of years 2008 and 2009
- 110 Downloads
A study of the response of the thermosphere and ionosphere to sudden stratospheric warmings (SSWs) which occurred in January of 2008 and 2009 is presented. The Global Self-consistent Model of the Thermosphere, Ionosphere, and Protonosphere (GSM TIP) developed in the West Department of IZMIRAN was a theoretical basis for this study. A comparison of the simulation results of the thermosphere-ionosphere response to SSW events with the observational data over Irkutsk and also with theoretical and experimental studies carried out during the recent years is performed. SSW events were modeled by setting disturbances in the neutral temperature and density at the lower boundary of the GSM TIP model (80 km above the Earth’s surface). It is shown that the disturbances related to SSW lead to substantial global effects in the thermosphere and ionosphere. The analysis of the experimental data showed that, in spite of very similar solar and geophysical conditions on the background of which two considered stratospheric warming events happened, the occurring disturbances in temperature at heights of the mesosphere and lower thermosphere differ substantially from each other, although some common regularities still take place especially at heights of the ionospheric F region.
KeywordsTotal Electron Content Cosmic Research Planetary Wave Lower Thermosphere Stratospheric Warming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Danilov, A.D., Kazimirovskii, E.S., Vergasova, G.V., and Khachikyan, G.Ya., Meteorologicheskie effekty v ionosfere (Meteorological Effects in the Ionosphere), Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Chau, J.L., Goncharenko, L.P., Fejer, B.G., and Liu, H.L., Equatorial and Low Latitude Ionospheric Effects during Sudden Stratospheric Warming Events, Space Sci. Rev., 2011. doi: 10.1007/s11214-011-9797-5.Google Scholar
- 5.Hoffmann, P., Singer, W., Keuer, D., Hocking, W.K., Kunze, M., and Murayama, Y., Latitudinal and Longitudinal Variability of Mesospheric Winds and Temperatures during Stratospheric Warming Events, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 2007, vol. 69, nos. 17–18, pp. 2355–2366.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Altadill, D., Apostolov, E.M., Sole, J.G., and Jacobi, C., Origin and Development of Vertical Propagating Oscillations with Periods of Planetary Waves in the Ionospheric F Region, Phys. Chem. Earth, 2001, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 387–393.Google Scholar
- 13.Danilov, A.D. and Vanina, L.B., Relation between Parameters of Stratosphere and Ionospheric F2 Layer, Intern. Journal of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, 2004, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 237–250.Google Scholar
- 16.Liu, H.-L., Wang, W., Richmond, A.D., and Roble, R.G., Ionospheric Variability due to Planetary Waves and Tides for Solar Minimum Conditions, J. Geophys. Res., 2010, vol. 115, A00G07, p. 1–13. doi: 10.1029/2009JA015188.Google Scholar
- 28.Froehlich, K., Pogoreltsev, A., and Jacobi, Ch., Numerical Simulation of Tides, Rossby and Kelvin Waves with the COMMA-LIM Model, Adv. Space Res., 2003, vol. 32.Google Scholar
- 29.Funke, B., Lopez-Puertas, M., Bermejo-Pantaleon, D., Garcia-Comas, M., Stiller, G.P., von Clarmann, T., Kiefer, M., and Linden, A., Evidence for Dynamical Coupling from the Lower Atmosphere to the Thermosphere during a Major Stratospheric Warming, J. Geophys. Res., 2010, vol. 37, p. L13803. doi: 10.1029/2010GL043619.ADSGoogle Scholar
- 30.Schwartz, M.J., Lambert, A., Manney, G.L., Read, W.D., Livesey, N.J., Froidevaux, L., Ao, C.O., Bernath, P.F., Boone, C.D., Cofield, R.E., Daffer, W.H., Drouin, B.J., Fetzer, E.J., Fuller, R.A., Jarnot, R.F., Jiang, J.H., Knosp, B.W., Krueger, K., Li, J.-L.F., Mlynczak, M.G., Pawson, S., Russell III, J.M., Santee, M.L., Snyder, W.V., Stek, P.C., Thurstans, R.P., Tompkins, A.M., Wagner, P.A., Walker, K.A., Waters, J.W., and Wu, D.L., Validation of the Aura Microwave Limb Sounder Temperature and Geopotential Height Measurements, J. Geophys. Res., 2008, vol. 113, D15S11. doi: 10.1029/2007JD008783.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Khmyrov G.M., Galkin I.A., Kozlov A.V., Reinisch B.W., McElroy J., and Dozois C., Exploring Digisonde Ionogram Data with SAO-X and DIDBase, in Radio Sounding and Plasma Physics, AIP Conference Proceedings 974, 2008, pp. 175–185.Google Scholar
- 34.Bessarab F.S., Korenkov Yu.N., Klimenko M.V., Klimenko V.V., Karpov I.V., Ratovsky K.G., Chernigovskaya M.A., and Shcherbakov A.A., Modeling the Effect of Sudden Stratospheric Warming within the Thermosphere-Ionosphere System, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 2012.Google Scholar