Results of measuring the fluxes of solar energetic particles and methods of their interpretation
- 59 Downloads
Reliability and credibility of the results of measurements of the fluxes of protons and heavy ions of solar energetic particles, carried out with various experimental methods, are studied, as well as the methods of description of obtained data with various model functions of energy spectra. We analyze the results of measuring the fluxes of heavy ions of solar cosmic rays with the use of solid-state track detectors in the experiments Astro (April 1981, Salyut-6 spacecraft) and Platan-3 (1988–1989, Mir orbital station) and compare them with the results of experiments VLET and CRT made onboard the IMP-8 satellite. Special emphasis is made on the analysis of results obtained with instruments SIS and ULEIS (ACE), and of results of measuring the fluxes of helium ions by the instrument EPEAD on GOES satellites. We also discuss the problem of fitting experimental data about SCR fluxes by different functions of energy (momentum, velocity) of particles. Such an approximation is a basis for interpreting the results of measurements. Numerous systematic errors are revealed that are typical for the results of measurements of the fluxes of SCR particles, performed with different instruments onboard Earth-orbiting satellites and other space vehicles.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mottl, D., Nymmik, R., and Sladkova, A., Spectra of Solar Energetic Protons Derived from Statistical Analysis of Experimental Data on Large Set of Events, Proc. 27th ICRC, 2001, p. 3183.Google Scholar
- 3.Mottl, D.A. and Nymmik, R.A., Energy Spectra of Solar Cosmic Rays: Reality and Myths, Izv. Ros. Akad. Nauk, Ser. Fiz., 2003, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 466–469.Google Scholar
- 7.Price, P.B., Chan, J.H., Crawford, H.J., and Sullivan, J.H., Systematic of Heavy Ion Enhancement in Solar Flares, Proc. 13th ICRC, 1973, p. 1479.Google Scholar
- 12.Mewaldt, R.A., Cohen, C.M., Haggerty, D.K., et al., The Charge-To-Mass Dependence of Solar Energetic Particle Spectral Breaks, Proc. 30th ICRC, 2007, vol. 1, p. 99.Google Scholar
- 17.Nymmik, R.A., Panasyuk, M.I., Petrukhin, V.V., and Yushkov, B.Yu., A Method of Calculation of Vertical Cutoff Rigidity in the Geomagnetic Field, Kosm. Issled., 2009, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 211–218. [Cosmic Research, pp. 191–197.]Google Scholar
- 21.Baranov, D.G., Dergachev, V.A., Gagarin, Yu.F., et al., About the Energy Spectra of Solar Energetic Particle Event Heavy Ions, Proc. 27th ICRC, 2001, p. 3181.Google Scholar
- 24.ISO 15390, International Standard: Space Environment (Natural and Artificial)—Galactic Cosmic Ray Model, 2004.Google Scholar