Elimination of relative secular drift of orbits of two satellites caused by polar oblateness of the Earth
- First Online:
A method of elimination of relative secular drifts in satellite formations is suggested for the case of influence of a perturbation due to polar oblateness of the Earth. The method is applied to eliminate relative secular drifts in the case when a satellite is controlled using an engine mounted along its orientation axis (the satellite is supplied with a passive magnetic attitude control system) and with the help of a solar sail installed on one of the satellites. Analytical results are confirmed by numerical simulation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schaub, H. and Alfriend, K.T., J 2 Invariant Relative Orbits for Spacecraft Formations, in NASA Goddard Symposium, May 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Schaub, H., Vadali, S.R., Junkins, J.L., and Alfriend, K.T., Spacecraft Formation Flying Control Using Mean Orbit Elements, J. Astronautical Sciences, 2000, vol. 48, no. 1, Jan.–March, pp. 69–87.Google Scholar
- 6.Williams, T. and Wang, Z.S., Uses of Solar Radiation Pressure for Satellite Formation Flight, Intern. Journ. of Robust and Nonlinear Control, 2002, no. 12, pp. 163–183.Google Scholar
- 7.Williams, T. and Wang, Z., Potential Uses of Solar Radiation Pressure in Satellite Formation Flight, AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Meeting, 2000, Clearwater, Florida, vol. 105, pp. 1599–1611.Google Scholar
- 8.Okhotsimskii, D.E. and Sikharulidze, Yu.G., Osnovy mekhaniki kosmicheskogo poleta (Fundamentals of Space Flight Mechanics), Moscow: Nauka, 1990.Google Scholar
- 9.El’yasberg, P.E., Vvedenie v teoriyu poleta iskusstvennykh sputnikov Zemli (Introduction to Theory of Flight of Earth’s Artificial Satellites), Moscow: Nauka, 1965.Google Scholar
- 10.Sarychev, V.A. and Ovchinnikov, M.Yu., Magnetic Systems of Satellite Attitude Control, in Itogi Nauki Tekh., Ser.: Issled. Kosm. Prostr., Moscow: VINITI, 1985, vol. 23.Google Scholar
- 13.Zaramenskikh, I.E. and Ovchinnikov, M.Yu., Use of the Solar Radiation Pressure to Compensate the Influence of Polar Oblateness of the Earth on Relative Motion of a Satellite Formation, Preprint of Keldysh Inst. of Applied Math., Russ. Acad. Sci., Moscow, 2009, no. 5.Google Scholar