Studies of substorm on March 12, 1991: 2. Auroral electrons. Acceleration, injection, and dynamics
- 22 Downloads
In the first part of this study of the substorm of March 12, 1991, the space-time structure of substrorm disturbance and dynamics of auroral ions were considered. This second part presents an analysis of measurements of auroral electrons onboard the CRRES satellite. It is demonstrated that enhancements of the electron flux (injections) during large-scale and local dipolarizations of the magnetic field are determined by a combination of field-aligned, induction, and betatron mechanisms of acceleration with an effect of displacement of the drift shells of particles. The relative contributions of these mechanisms in relation to the energy of auroral electrons are determined.
PACS94.30.Lr 94.30.Aa 94.20.Ac
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lazutin, L.L., The Structure of the Auroral Magnetosphere and Explosive Processes of Magnetospheric Substorms, in Fizika okolozemnogo kosmicheskogo prostranstva (Physics of Near-Earth Space), Apatity: Izd. Kol’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN, 2000, vol. 2, pp. 145–192.Google Scholar
- 2.Lazutin, L.L., Kozelova, T.V., Meredit, N., et al., Studies of the Substorm on March 12, 1991: 1. Structure of Substorm Activity and Auroral Ions, Kosm. Issled., 2007, vol. 45, no. 1., pp. 27–38.Google Scholar
- 3.Weiss, L. A., Reiff, P.H., Hilmer, R.V., et al., Mapping the Auroral Oval into the Magnetotail Using Dynamics Explorer Plasma Data, J. Geomagn. Geoelectr., 1992, vol. 44, pp. 1121–1144.Google Scholar
- 4.Antonova, E.E., Equilibrium of Plasma in the Earth’s Magnetosphere and Acceleration Processes at High Latitudes, Doctoral (Phys.-Math.) Dissertation, Moscow: Skobeltsyn Inst. Nucl. Phys. of Moscow State Univ., 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.Tverskoi, B.A., Dinamika radiatsionnykh poyasov Zemli (Dynamics of the Earth’s Radiation Belts), Moscow: Nauka, 1968.Google Scholar
- 6.McIlwain, C.E., Auroral Beams near the Magnetic Equator, in The Physics of Hot Plasmas in the Magnetosphere, Hultqvist, B. and Stenflow, L., Eds., New York.: Plenum, 1975, pp. 91–99.Google Scholar
- 7.Klumpar, D.M, Statistical Distributions of the Auroral Electron Albedo in the Magnetosphere, in Auroral Plasma Dynamics, vol. 80 of Geophys. Monogr. Ser., Lysak, R.L., Ed., Washington, D.C.: AGU, 1993, pp. 163–171.Google Scholar
- 10.Abel, G.A., Fazakerley, A.N., and Johnstone, A.D., The Simultaneous Acceleration and Pitch Angle Scattering of Field-Aligned Electrons Observed by the LEPA on CRRES, J. Geophys. Res., 2002, vol. 107. doi:10.1029/2001JA005090.Google Scholar