Transition Processes in Flame Propagation in a Closed Vessel Partially Filled with a Porous Medium
- 28 Downloads
Flame propagation in a closed vessel containing a stoichiometric propane–air mixture and partially filled with a porous medium has been experimentally studied. It has been shown that the flammability limit in the porous medium is determined by the current pressure at the time the flame approaches it and by the transition processes occurring as the wave enters the porous medium. The dynamic limit phenomenon—the flammability limit in the porous medium associated with a continuous pressure drop—has been investigated. It has been found that the range of initial pressures in which the dynamic limit is observed is determined not only by the change in the number of moles in the gas phase, as during flame propagation in vessels completely filled with a porous medium, but also by gas cooling in the free space. The dynamic limit can occur in a significantly wider range of initial pressures than that due to a change in the number of moles. This range is mainly determined by heat exchange between the gas and the walls of the vessel in the region free from the porous medium.
Keywordsflame closed vessel porous medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ya. B. Zel’dovich, G. I. Barenblatt, V. B. Librovich, and G. M. Makhviladze, The Mathematical Theory of Combustion and Explosions (Nauka, Moscow, 1980; Plenum, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Pinaev and D. A. Lyamin, “Fundamental Laws Governing Subsonic and Detonating Gas Combustion in Inert Porous Media,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 25 (4), 75–85 (1989) [Combust., Expl., ShockWaves 25 (4), 448–458 (1989)].Google Scholar
- 4.V. S. Babkin, V. A. Bunev, A. A. Korzhavin, A. S. Klimenko, V. I. Zubkov, and V. M. Grigor’ev, “Gas Combustion in a Vessel with a Highly Porous Inert Medium,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 21 (5), 17–22 (1985) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 21 (5), 519–523 (1985)].Google Scholar
- 5.Ya. V. Kozlov, V. V. Zamashchikov, A. A. Korzhavin, and P. K. Senachin, “Maximum Pressure during Flame Propagation in a Closed Vessel Partially Filled with a Porous Medium,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 54 (4), 18–29 (2018) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 54 (4), 398–408 (2018)].Google Scholar
- 7.A. A. Korzhavin, V. A. Bunev, and V. S. Babkin, “Unsteady-State Effects upon Gas Combustion in Closed Vessels with an Inert Porous Medium”, Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 33 (1), 24–32 (1997) [Combust., Expl., Shock Waves 33 (1), 19–25 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 9.A. A. Korzhavin, V. A. Bunev, R. Kh. Abdullin, and V. S. Babkin, “Flame Zone in Gas Combustion in an Inert Porous Medium,” Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva 18 (6), 20–23 (1982) [Combust., Expl., ShockWaves 18 (6), 628–631 (1982)].Google Scholar