Mitochondria in Obliquely Striated Muscles of the Horsehair Worm Gordionus alpestris (Nematomorpha, Gordioidea) with Structural Organization Typical of Cells with Energy-Intensive Processes
The ultrastructure of mitochondria in the flattened circomyarian fibers of the horsehair worm Gordionus alpestris (Nemathelminthes) was examined. In contrast to the previously published data, we showed these mitochondria to be giant elongated organelles that densely fill the central cytoplasmic space of the ribbon-like muscle fibers. No fundamental differ-ences were found in the ultrastructure of the muscle tissue mitochondria in actively moving free-living and parasitic G. alpestris worms. The functional significance of the observed ultrastructural organization of mitochondria is discussed in connection with the necessity for an extended mitochondrial membrane system for a uniform supply of active muscle tissue with energy.
Keywordsmitochondria obliquely striated muscle ultrastructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bakeeva, L. E., Skulachev, V. P., and Chentsov, Yu. S. (1977) Mitochondrial reticulum: structure and possible functions of a novel intracellular structure in muscle tissues, Vest. Mosk. Univer. Ser. Biol., 3, 23–38.Google Scholar
- 3.Bakeeva, L. E., Chentsov, Yu. S., and Skulachev, V. P. (1982) Intermitochondrial contacts in cardiomyocytes, Tsitologiya, 24, 161–166.Google Scholar
- 5.Paniagua, R., Royuela, M., Garcia–Anchuelo, R. M., and Fraile, B. (1996) Ultrastructure of invertebrate muscle cell types, Histol. Histopathol., 11, 181–201.Google Scholar
- 6.Bakeeva, L. E., Pavlova, G. A., and Rodichev, E. B. (1992) Spatial organization of mitochondria in the smooth muscles of Lymnaea stagnalis, Biochemistry (Moscow), 57, 791–797.Google Scholar
- 7.Dogel, V. A. (1975) Zoology of Invertebrates [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow, pp. 214, 559.Google Scholar
- 8.Zavarzin, A. A. (1985) The Basics of Comparative Histology [in Russian], Leningrad, Izd–vo Leningradskogo Universiteta, pp. 321, 397.Google Scholar
- 15.Skulachev, V. P. (1969) Energy Accumulation in the Cell [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow, p. 71.Google Scholar