Activity of tissue factor in microparticles produced in vitro by endothelial cells, monocytes, granulocytes, and platelets
- 116 Downloads
Activity of tissue factor (TF) in membrane microparticles (MPs) produced in vitro by endothelial cells (ECs), monocytes, THP-1 monocytic cells, granulocytes, and platelets was investigated. ECs were isolated from human umbilical vein, and monocytes, granulocytes, and platelets–from the blood of healthy donors. ECs, monocytes, and THP-1 cells were activated by bacterial lipopolysaccharide, granulocytes–by lipopolysaccharide or phorbol myristate acetate, and platelets - by SFLLRN, thrombin receptor-activating peptide. MPs were sedimented from the culture medium or supernatant of activated cells at 20,000g for 30 min. Coagulation activity of MPs was analyzed in a modified recalcification assay by assessing their effects on coagulation of donor plasma depleted of endogenous MPs (by centrifuging at 20,000g for 90 min). MPs from all cell types accelerated plasma coagulation. Antibodies blocking TF activity prolonged coagulation lagphase in the presence of MPs from ECs, monocytes, and THP-1 cells (by 2.7-, 2.0-, and 1.8-fold, respectively), but did not influence coagulation in the presence of MPs from granulocytes and platelets. In accordance with these data, TF activity measured by its ability to activate factor X was found in MPs from ECs, monocytes, and THP-1 cells, but not in MPs from granulocytes and platelets. The data obtained indicate that active TF is present in MPs produced in vitro by ECs, monocytes, and THP-1 cells, but not in MPs derived from granulocytes and platelets.
Key wordsmembrane microparticles coagulation tissue factor endothelial cells monocytes granulocytes platelets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Osterud, B. (2012) Tissue factor/TFPI and blood cells, Thromb. Res., 129, Suppl. 2, S27–S29.Google Scholar
- 8.Lupu, C., Westmuckett, A. D., Peer, G., Ivanciu, L., Zhu, H., Taylor, F. B., Jr., and Lupu, F. (2005) Tissue factordependent coagulation is preferentially upregulated within arterial branching areas in a baboon model of Escherichia coli sepsis, Am. J. Pathol., 167, 1161–1172.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Solovey, A., Kollander, R., Shet, A., Milbauer, L. C., Choong, S., Panoskaltsis-Mortari, A., Blazar, B. R., Kelm, R. J., Jr., and Hebbel, R. P. (2004) Endothelial cell expression of tissue factor in sickle mice is augmented by hypoxia/reoxygenation and inhibited by lovastatin, Blood, 104, 840–846.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Antonov, A. S., Nikolaeva, M. A., Klueva, T. S., Romanov, Y. A., Babaev, V. R., Bystrevskaya, V. B., Perov, N. A., Repin, V. S., and Smirnov, V. N. (1986) Primary culture of endothelial cells from atherosclerotic human aorta. Part 1. Identification, morphological and ultrastructural characteristics of two endothelial cell subpopulations, Atherosclerosis, 59, 1–19.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Mazurov, A. V., Vinogradov, D. V., Kabaeva, N. V., Antonova, G. N., Romanov, Yu. A., Vlasik, T. N., Antonov, A. S., and Smirnov, V. N. (1991) A monoclonal antibody, VM64, reacts with a 130 kDa glycoprotein common to platelets and endothelial cells: heterogeneity in antibody binding to human aortic endothelial cells, Thromb. Haemost., 66, 494–499.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kagawa, H., Komiyama, Y., Nakamura, S., Miyake, T., Miyazaki, Y., Hamamoto, K., Masuda, M., Takahashi, H., Nomura, S., and Fukuhara, S. (1998) Expression of functional tissue factor on small vesicles of lipopolysaccharidestimulated human vascular endothelial cells, Thromb. Res., 91, 297–304.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Combes, V., Simon, A.-C., Grau, G.-E., Arnoux, D., Camoin, L., Sabatier, F., Mutin, M., Sanmarco, M., Sampol, J., and Dignat-George, F. (1999) In vitro generation of endothelial microparticles and possible prothrombotic activity in patients with lupus anticoagulant, J. Clin. Invest., 104, 93–102.PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Kambas, K., Chrysanthopoulou, A., Vassilopoulos, D., Apostolidou, E., Skendros, P., Girod, A., Arelaki, S., Froudarakis, M., Nakopoulou, L., Giatromanolaki, A., Sidiropoulos, P., Koffa, M., Boumpas, D. T., Ritis, K., and Mitroulis, I. (2014) Tissue factor expression in neutrophil extracellular traps and neutrophil derived microparticles in antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody associated vasculitis may promote thromboinflammation and the thrombophilic state associated with the disease, Ann. Rheum. Dis., 73, 1854–1863.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Brambilla, M., Facchinetti, L., Canzano, P., Rossetti, L., Ferri, N., Balduini, A., Abbonante, V., Boselli, D., De Marco, L., Di Minno, M. N., Toschi, V., Corsini, A., Tremoli, E., and Camera, M. (2015) Human megakaryocytes confer tissue factor to a subset of shed platelets to stimulate thrombin generation, Thromb. Haemost., 114, 579–592.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar