Cytokine profile in children with inflammatory bowel disease
- 112 Downloads
Crohn’s disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC) are inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) characterized by immune reactivity against microbial and auto-antigens. This work was designed to study the cytokine profile in blood serum and coproextracts of children with CD and UC. The studied patients consisted of 17 children with CD (group I), 17 children with UC (group II), and 18 controls with intestinal dysbiosis (group III). The diagnosis of UC and CD was based on accepted clinical and endoscopic criteria. The levels of 13 cytokines (IL-1β, IL-2, IL-4, IL-5, IL-6, IL-7, IL-8, IL-10, IL-12p70, IL-17A, TNF-α, TGF-β, and IFN-γ) were determined in blood sera and coproextracts of the patients and controls using the BioPlex technology. The level of IL-17A was significantly increased and that of TGF-β was significantly decreased in the blood serum of the patients with IBDs. Changes in the cytokine profile in the coproextracts affected the wider spectrum of cytokines. The levels of proinflammatory cytokines (IL-2, IL-4, IL-6, IL-12p70, TNF-α, and IFN-γ) were increased 6–9-fold, whereas the level of the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10 was increased 3-fold. The cytokine balance was shifted to the proinflammatory cytokines. The TGF-β level was increased 9-fold and that of IL-17A was increased 3-fold. Thus, the cytokine profile in the coproextracts was more informative than that of the blood serum. The determination of cytokines in coproextracts is simple and noninvasive.
Key wordscytokines interleukin Crohn’s disease ulcerative colitis children
inflammatory bowel disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yablokova, E. A., Gorelov, A. V., Ratnikova, M. A., Sichinava, I. V., Grammatopulo, M. I., Polotnyanko, E. Yu., and Borisova, E. V. (2006) Inflammatory bowel disease in children, Pediatriya, 5, 99–102.Google Scholar
- 7.Neut, C., Bulois, P., Desreumaux, P., Membre, J. M., Lederman, E., Gambiez, L., Cortot, A., Quandalle, P., van Kruiningen, H., and Colombel, J. F. (2002) Changes in the bacterial flora of the neoterminal ileum after ileocolonic resection for Crohn’s disease, Am. J. Gastroenterol., 97, 939–946.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Fuss, I. J., Neurath, M., Boirivant, M., Klein, J. S., de la Motte, C., Strong, S. A., Fiocchi, C., and Strober, W. (1996) Disparate CD4+ lamina propria (LP) lymphokine secretion profiles in inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn’s disease LP cells manifest increased secretion of IFN-gamma, whereas ulcerative colitis LP cells manifest increased secretion of IL-5, J. Immunol., 157, 1261–1270.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Ostanin, A. A., and Chernykh, E. P. (2005) Comparative assessment of the level of 17 cytokines in serum and blood of healthy donors using flow fluorimetry, Tsitokiny Vospalenie, 4, 25–32.Google Scholar
- 19.Toptygina, A. P., and Aleshkin, V. A. (2011) Production of cytokines in intact children and children vaccinated with the Priorix vaccine in response to stimulation by measles and rubella virus antigens, Immunologiya, 32, 200–205.Google Scholar
- 21.Ito, R., Kita M., Shin-Ya, M., Kishida, T., Urano, A., Takada, R., Sakagami, J., Imanishi, J., Iwakura, Y., Okanoue, T., Yoshikawa, T., Kataoka, K., and Mazda, O. (2008) Involvement of IL-17A in the pathogenesis of DSS-induced colitis in mice, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 377, 12–16.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Miroshkina, L. V., Petrichuk, S. V., Tsimbalova, E. G., Potapov, A. S., Venediktova, M. M., Toptygina, A. P., Kurbatova, O. V., Izmailova, T. D., Semikina, E. L., and Varichkina, M. A. (2013) Cytokine profile in children with inflammatory bowel diseases as a predictor of efficiency of therapy with infliximab, Vopr. Diagnost. Pediatr., 5, 33–38.Google Scholar
- 24.Toptygina, A. P., Bobyleva, G. V., and Aleshkin, V. A. (2008) Correlation between mucosal and systemic immune responses in infants, Ros. Immunol. Zh., 2, 449–453.Google Scholar
- 27.Shalapour, S., Deiser, K., Kuhl, A. A., Glauben, R., Krug, S. M., Fischer, A., Sercan, O., Chappaz, S., Bereswill, S., Heimesaat, M. M., Loddenkemper, C., Fromm, M., Finke, D., Hammerling, G. J., Arnold, B., Siegmund, B., and Schuler, T. (2012) Interleukin-7 links T lymphocyte and intestinal epithelial cell homeostasis, PLoS One, 7, e31939.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar