Bacteriolytic activity of human interleukin-2
- First Online:
- 116 Downloads
In this paper we report the discovery of bacteriolytic activity of an immune system cytokine mediator, interleukin-2. Bacteriolytic activity of interleukin-2 was compared with a well-known bacteriolytic enzyme — chicken egg white lysozyme — by monitoring the lysis of the Gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli, the Gram-positive coccus Micrococcusluteus, and the Gram-positive spore-forming bacillus Bacillus subtilis. It was found that interleukin-2 has greater specificity to the Gram-negative bacterium E. coli than does lysozyme. In contrast to chicken egg white lysozyme, interleukin-2 does not lyse the Gram-positive coccus M. luteus and the Gram-positive spore-forming bacillus B. subtilis. These results give a new understanding of the biological functions of interleukin-2, a regulatory protein that plays a role in oncological and infectious diseases.
Key wordsinterleukin-2 bacteriolytic activity Escherichia coli
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Sedov, S. A., Belogurova, N. G., Shipovskov, S., Semenova, M. V., Gitinov, M. M., Levashov, A. V., and Levashov, P. A. (2012) Bioorg. Khim., 38, 274–281.Google Scholar
- 6.Bubnova, N. A., and Egorova, V. N. (2010) Generalized Experience on the Use of Ronkoleukin (Recombinant Interleukin-2) in Therapy of Surgical Diseases [in Russian], Alter Ego, St. Petersburg.Google Scholar
- 7.Molchanov, O. E. (2010) The Use of Ronkoleukin (Recombinant Interleukin-2) in Oncology [in Russian], Alter Ego, St. Petersburg.Google Scholar
- 8.Myasnikov, A. N., and Smirnov, M. N. (1995) Preparation of Human Recombinant Interleukin-2, Patent RU 2031125 C1.Google Scholar
- 11.Levashov, P. A., Ovchinnikova, E. D., Afanasiev, M. I., Frid, D. A., Azmuko, A. A., Bespalova, Zh. D., Adamova, I. Yu., Afanasieva, O. I., and Pokrovsky, S. N. (2012) Bioorg. Khim., 38, 46–50.Google Scholar
- 12.Pyatkin, K. D., and Krivoshein, Yu. S. (1980) Microbiology [in Russian], Meditsina, Moscow.Google Scholar
- 13.Poletaev, A. B. (2008) Immunophysiology and Immunopathology [in Russian], Medical Informational Agency, Moscow.Google Scholar