Properties of recombinant ATP-dependent fructokinase from the halotolerant methanotroph Methylomicrobium alcaliphilum 20Z
- 116 Downloads
In the cluster of genes for sucrose biosynthesis and cleavage in Methylomicrobium alcaliphilum 20Z, a gene whose encoded sequence showed high similarity to sugar kinases of the ribokinase family was found. By heterologous expression of this gene in Escherichia coli cells and following metal chelate affinity chromatography, the electrophoretically homogenous recombinant enzyme with six histidine residues on the C-end was obtained. The enzyme catalyzes ATP-dependent phosphorylation of fructose into fructose-6-phosphate but is not active with other sugars as phosphoryl acceptors. The fructokinase of M. alcaliphilum 20Z is most active in the presence of Mn2+ at pH 9.0 and 60°C, being inhibited by ADP (K i = 2.50 ± 0.03 mM). The apparent K m values for fructose and ATP are 0.26 and 1.3 mM, respectively; the maximal activity is 141 U/mg protein. The enzyme shows the highest similarity of translated amino acid sequence with putative fructokinases of methylotrophic and autotrophic proteobacteria whose fruK gene is located in the gene cluster of sucrose biosynthesis. The involvement of fructokinase in sucrose metabolism in M. alcaliphilum 20Z and other methanotrophs and autotrophs is discussed.
Key wordsfructokinases sucrose metabolism methylotrophic bacteria Methylomicrobium alcaliphilum fruK
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fennington, G. J., Jr., and Hughes, T. A. (1996) Microbiology (UK), 142, 321–330.Google Scholar
- 6.Reid, S. J., Rafudeen, M. S., and Leat, N. G. (1999) Microbiology (UK), 145, 1461–1472.Google Scholar
- 11.Sigrell, J. A., Cameron, A. D., Jones, T. A., and Mowbray, S. J. (1997) Protein Sci., 6, 247–2476.Google Scholar
- 12.Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E. F., and Maniatis, T. (1989) Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd Edn., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, N. Y.Google Scholar
- 16.Sambrook, J., and Russell, D. W. (2001) Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 3rd Edn., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, N. Y.Google Scholar
- 18.Tamura, K., Dudley, J., Nei, M., and Kumar, S. (2007) Molecular Biology and Evolution, 10.1093/molbev/msm092.Google Scholar
- 19.Medvedkova, K. A., Khmelenina, V. N., and Trotsenko, Y. A. (2007) Mikrobiologiya, 76, 567–569.Google Scholar
- 21.Qiuhao, Q., Sung-Jae, L., and Winfried, B. (2004) Extremophiles, 8, 301–308.Google Scholar