Randomized local search for the discrete competitive facility location problem
- 113 Downloads
Consider a finite set of consumers that two competing companies are willing to service. The companies open facilities one by one. The set of locations available to open facilities is finite. The problem is to find a facility location for the first company that maximizes its profit given that the second company also makes its decision by maximizing the profit. We propose a randomized local search scheme that employs an internal local search procedure to estimate the solutions being enumerated. Numerical experiments with random input data show that the scheme is able to find high quality approximate solutions for examples with dimension that has not been amenable to previously known algorithms.
KeywordsLocal Search Remote Control Facility Location Facility Location Problem Admissible Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Stackelberg, H., The Theory of the Market Economy, Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 1952.Google Scholar
- 9.Hakimi, S.L., Locations with Spatial Interactions: Competitive Locations and Games, in Discrete Location Theory, Mirchandani, P.B. and Francis, R.L., Eds., London: Wiley, 1990, pp. 439–478.Google Scholar
- 10.Alekseeva, E., Kochetova, N., Kochetov, Y., and Plyasunov, A., Heuristic and Exact Methods for the Discrete (r|p)-Centroid Problem, Lecture Notes Comput. Sci., Berlin: Springer, 2010, vol. 6022, pp. 11–22.Google Scholar
- 11.Spoerhose, J., Competitive and Voting Location, PhD Dissertation, Univ. of Wurzburg, 2010.Google Scholar
- 15.Beresnev, V.L., Goncharov, E.N., and Mel’nikov, A.A., Local Search with a Generalized Neighborhood in the Optimization Problem for Pseudo-Boolean Functions, J. Appl. Ind. Math., 2012, no. 1, pp. 22–30.Google Scholar
- 17.Discrete Location Problems: Benchmark Library, http://math.nsc.ru/AP/benchmarks/index.html.
- 18.Yao, A., Probabilistic Computations: Toward a Unified Measure of Complexity, Proc. 18th IEEE Symp. on Foundat. Comput. Sci. (FOCS), 1977, pp. 222–227.Google Scholar