Technologies of parallel database systems for hierarchical multiprocessor environments
For the multiprocessor systems of the hierarchical-architecture relational databases, a new approach to data layout and load balancing was proposed. Described was a database multiprocessor model enabling simulation and examination of arbitrary multiprocessor hierarchical configurations in the context of the on-line transaction processing applications. An important subclass of the symmetrical multiprocessor hierarchies was considered, and a new data layout strategy based on the method of partial mirroring was proposed for them. The disk space used to replicate the data was evaluated analytically. For the symmetrical hierarchies having certain regularity, theorems estimating the laboriousness of replica formation were proved. An efficient method of load balancing on the basis of the partial mirroring technique was proposed. The methods described are oriented to the clusters and Grid-systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sokolinskii, L.B., Review of the Architectures of Parallel Database Systems, Programmirovanie, 2004, no. 6, pp. 49–63.Google Scholar
- 4.Bhide, A. and Stonebraker, M., A Performance Comparison of Two Architectures for Fast Transaction Processing, in Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Data Engin., Los Angeles, 1988, pp. 536–545.Google Scholar
- 5.Bhide, A., An Analysis of Three Transaction Processing Architectures, in Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, Los Angeles, 1988, pp. 339–350.Google Scholar
- 6.Bouganim, L., Florescu, D., and Valduriez, P., Dynamic Load Balancing in Hierarchical Parallel Database Systems, in Proc. 22th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, Mumbai, 1996, pp. 436–447.Google Scholar
- 7.Xu, Y. and Dandamudi, S.P., Performance Evaluation of a Two-Level Hierarchical Parallel Database System, in Proc. Int. Conf. Comput. Their Appl., Tempe, 1997, pp. 242–247.Google Scholar
- 8.DeWitt, D.J. and Gray, J., Parallel Database Systems: Future of the High-performance Database Systems, SUBD, 1995, no. 2, pp. 8–31.Google Scholar
- 9.Bitton, D. and Gray, J., Disk Shadowing, in Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, Los Angeles, 1988, pp. 331–338.Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, S. and Towsley, D.F., Performance of a Mirrored Disk in a Real-Time Transaction System, in Proc. 1991 ACM SIGMETRICS Conf. Measurement and Modeling Comput. Syst., San Diego, 1991; Performance Evaluat. Rev., vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 198–207.Google Scholar
- 12.Williams, M.H. and Zhou, S., Data Placement in Parallel Database Systems, in Parallel Database Techniques, IEEE Comput. Soc., 1998, pp. 203–218.Google Scholar
- 13.Prototype of the Parallel Database Control System “Omega,” manuscript on the site http://omega.susu.ru/prototype/.
- 14.Knuth, D.E., The Art of Computer Programming. vol. 3: Sorting and Searching, Reading: Addison-Wesley, 1969. Translated under the title Iskusstvo programmirovaniya dlya EVM. T. 3: Sortirovka i poisk, Moscow: Mir, 1978.Google Scholar
- 16.Lu, H. and Tan, K.L., Dynamic and Load-balanced Task-oriented Database Query Processing in Parallel Systems, in Proc 3rd Int. Conf. Extending Database Technology, Vienna, 1992, pp. 357–372.Google Scholar
- 17.Omiecinski, E., Performance Analysis of a Load Balancing Hash-Join Algorithm for a Shared Memory Multiprocessor, in Proc. 17th Int. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, 1991, pp. 375–385.Google Scholar
- 18.Lepikhov, A.V. and Sokolinskii, L.B., Data Layout Strategy in the Multiprocessor Systems with Symmetrical Hierarchical Architecture, Technical Report OMEGA12 of Yuurgu, 2006, manuscript on the site: http://omega.susu.ru/reports/TR12-06-07-89148-Y1N1.pdf.
- 19.Kostenetskii, L.B., Lepikhov, A.V., and Sokolinskii, L.B., Some Organizational Aspects of Parallel Database Systems for the with Hierarchical Multiprocessor Architecture, in Algoritmy i programmnye sredstva parallel’nykh vychislenii. Sb. nauch. tr. (Algorithms and Software for Paralle Computations. Collected Papers), 2006, no, 9, pp. 42–84.Google Scholar
- 20.Maertens, H., A Classification of Skew Effects in Parallel Database Systems, in Proc. 7th Int. Euro-Par Conf., 2001, pp. 291–300.Google Scholar