Preparation and Characterization of Alphitobius diaperinus Melanin
- 2 Downloads
Melanin with a high antioxidant and sorption activity comparable to that of synthetic dioxyphenylalanine (DOPA)-melanin was isolated from the biomass of the darkling beetle Alphitobius diaperinus. The pigment was extracted with a solution of potassium hydroxide, followed by precipitation with concentrated hydrochloric acid and hydrolysis of the resulting precipitate with the same acid. The electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) signal of melanin was characteristic of eumelanins with a spin concentration of 4.9 × 1017 spin per 1 g of dry weight. The melanin concentration that induced 50% inhibition of peroxidation was 9.2 μg/mL (the analogous concentration of DOPA-melanin was 8.0 μg/mL). The maximum of methylene-blue binding to the beetle melanin was 700 mg of dye per 1 g of dry weight of the preparation. The lipid-free melanin preparation exhibited antiradical activity.
KeywordsAlphitobius diaperinus melanin extraction antioxidant activity sorption capacity EPR signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ostrovskii, M.A. and Dontsov, A.E., Fiziol. Chel., 1985, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 670–678.Google Scholar
- 2.Baraboi, V.A., Usp. Sovrem. Biol., 2000, no. 117, pp. 86–92.Google Scholar
- 3.Dontsov, A.E., Zashchitnoe deistvie melaninov pri okislitel’nom stresse (Protective Effect of Melanins in Oxidative Stress), Saarbrücken: Lambert Acad. Publ., 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.Koval’zon, V.M., Ushakova, N.A., Bastrakov, A.I., Kozlova, A.A., Ambaryan, A.V., Shevchenko, V.P., Nagaev, I.Yu., and Pavlov, D.S., Ross. Fiziol. Zh., 2016, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 436–441.Google Scholar
- 9.Kayatz, P., Thumann, G., Luther, T.T., Jordan, J.F., Bartz-Schmidt, K.U., Esser, P.J., and Schraermeyer, U., Invest. Ophthamol. Vis. Sci., 2001, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 241–246.Google Scholar
- 10.Prutenskaya, E.A., Vasil’ev, A.S., Lebedeva, E.Yu., and Sidorov, A.I., Vestn. Tversk. Gos. Tekhn. Univ., 2017, no. 31, pp. 129–132.Google Scholar
- 12.Gekht, A.B., Popov, G.R., Gudkova, A.A., Korshunova, E.S., Boldyreva, E.A., and Gusev, E.I., Neirodegenerativnye zabolevaniya: ot genoma do tselostnogo organizma (Neurodegenerative Diseases: From the Genome to the Whole Organism), Ugryumov, M.V., Ed., Moscow: Nauchnyi mir, 2014, vol. 1, pp. 74–95.Google Scholar
- 13.Nodel’, M.R., Nevrol. Neiropsikhiatr. Psikhosomat., 2013, no. 2, pp. 29–34.Google Scholar