Catalysis of the biodegradation of unusable medicines by Alkanotrophic rhodococci
- 76 Downloads
Experiments on the biodegradation of unusable medicines containing a phenolic hydroxy group by actinobacteria of the genus Rhodococcus were performed. Six species and sixty-four strains were tested. It was found that rhodococci could degrade paracetamol, and some R. ruber strains showed high levels of its degradation. An efficient method for the identification and quantification of paracetamol and the products of its conversion (p-aminophenol, pyrocatechol, and hydroquinone) immediately in the culture liquid was developed. Conditions for the complete biodegradation of paracetamol dosage forms (pills) were optimized. The experimental results can be applied to the development of biotechnological methods for degrading medicines: faked, rejected, or those that are expired.
KeywordsBiodegradation Apply Biochemistry Paracetamol Actinobacteria Rhodococcus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Khabriev, R.U. and Yagudina, R.I., Farmatsiya, 2003, no. 5, pp. 39–40.Google Scholar
- 2.Ivshina, I.B., WFCC Newsletter, 2001, no. 33, pp. 8–14.Google Scholar
- 4.Ivshina, I.B., Pshenichnov, R.A., and Oborin, A.A., Propanokislyayushchie rodokokki (Propane-Oxidizing Rhodococci), Sverdlovsk: UNTs AN SSSR, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Nesterenko, O.A., Kvasnikov, E.I., and Nogina, T.M., Nokardiopodobnye i korinepodobnye bakterii (Nocardioform and Corineform Bacteria), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.Katalog shtammov Regional’noi profilirovannoi kollektsii alkanotrofnykh mikroorganizmov (Catalogue of Strains of a Specialized Regional Collection of Alkanotrophic Microorganisms), Ivshina, I.B., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.Uraizee, F.A., Venosa, A.D., and Suidan, M.T., Biodegradation, 1998, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 287–296.Google Scholar
- 8.Ivshina, I.B., Kuyukina, M.S., Philp, J.C., and Christofi, N., J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 1998, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 307–312.Google Scholar
- 9.Manual of Methods for General Bacteriology, Gerhardt, P., Murray, R.G.E., Costilow, R.N., Nester, E.W., Wood, W.A., Krieg, N.R., and Phillips, G.B., Eds., Washington, DC: Am. Soc. Microbiol., 1981. Translated under the title Metody obshchei bakteriologii, Moscow: Mir, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.Vikhareva, E.V., Chekryshkina, L.A., Mishenina, I.I., Soloninina, A.V., Ivshina, I.B., and Rychkova, M.I., Farmatsiya, 2004, no. 5, pp. 12–13.Google Scholar
- 11.Kontrol’ khimicheskikh i biologicheskikh parametrov okruzhayushchei sredy (Control of Chemical and Biological Parameters of the Environment), Isaev, L.K, Ed., St. Petersburg: Soyuz, 1998.Google Scholar