ARGO data assimilation into the ocean dynamics model with high spatial resolution using Ensemble Optimal Interpolation (EnOI)
- 33 Downloads
The article proposes parallel implementation of the Ensemble Optimal Interpolation (EnOI) data assimilation (DA) method in eddy-resolving World Ocean circulation model. The results of DA experiments in North Atlantic with ARGO drifters are compared with the multivariate optimal interpolation (MVOI) DA scheme. The sensitivity of the model error, i.e., the difference between the model and observations depending on the number of ensemble elements, is also assessed and presented. The effectiveness of this method over the MVOI scheme is confirmed. The model outputs with and without assimilation are also compared with independent sea surface temperature data from ARMOR 3d.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K. P. Belyaev, C. A. S. Tanajura, and N. P. Tuchkova, “Comparison of methods for argo drifters data assimilation into a hydrodynamical model of the ocean,” Oceanology (Engl. Transl.) 52 (5), 593–603 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.V. V. Kalmykov, R. A. Ibrayev, “The overlapping algorithm for solving shallow water equations on massivelyparallel architectures with distributed memory,” Vestnik UGATU 17 (5 (58)), 252–259 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.V. V. Kalmykov, R. A. Ibrayev, and K. V. Ushakov, “The problems and challenges in the modeling of the high resolution Earth system,” in Supercomputer Technologies in Science, Education, and Industry: Almanac, Ed. by V. A. Sadovnichii, (Moscow State Univ., Moscow, 2014), pp. 14–22.Google Scholar
- 7.V. V. Kalmykov and R. A. Ibrayev, “A framework for the ocean-ice-atmosphere-land coupled modeling on massively-parallel architectures” Vychisl. Metody Programm., No. 14, 88–95 (2013).Google Scholar
- 10.G. I. Marchuk and V. P. Shutyaev, “Conjugate equations and iterative algorithms in the tasks of variational data assimilation,” Tr. Inst. Matem. Mekh. im. N.N. Krasovskogo 17 (2), 136–150 (2011).Google Scholar
- 13.J. I. Antonov, D. Seidov, T. P. Boyer, et al., World Ocean Atlas 2009, Ed. by S. Levitus (US Government Printing Office, Washington, 2010).Google Scholar
- 15.G. Evensen, Data Assimilation, the Ensemble Kalman Filter, 2nd ed. (Berlin, Springer-Verlag, 2009).Google Scholar
- 16.GODAE Ocean View Science Team, Work Plan 2009, 2013, http://www.godae-oceanview.org.Google Scholar
- 19.E. Kalnay, Atmospheric Modeling, Data Assimilation, and Predictability (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2003).Google Scholar
- 21.G. Larnicol, S. Guinehut, M.-H. Rio, et al., “The global observed ocean products of the French Mercator project,” Proceedings of the Symp. on 15 Years of Progress in Radar Altimetry, March 13–18, 2006 (Venice, 2006).Google Scholar
- 22.P. R. Oke, G. B. Brassington, D. A. Griffin, and A. Schiller, “Ocean data assimilation: a case for ensemble optimal interpolation,” Austral. Meteorol. Oceanogr. J. 59, 67–76 (2010).Google Scholar
- 24.A. Schiller and G. B. Brassington, Operational Oceanography in the 21st Century, Ed. by A. Schiller and G. B. Brassington (Springer-Verlag, Dordrecht, 2011).Google Scholar