Nonlinear Gravitational Waves and Atmospheric Instability
This is an outline of the main results of the study of dust devils (a type of atmospheric vortices) with a focus on the mechanism of vortex generation in an unstable stratified atmosphere. In the approximation of ideal hydrodynamics, a new nonlinear model of the generation of convective motions and dust devils in an unstable stratified atmosphere has been developed. Using nonlinear equations for internal gravity waves, the model of generation of convective cell plumes has been investigated in the axially symmetric approximation. It has been shown that, in a convectively unstable atmosphere with large-scale seed vorticity, the plumes extremely rapidly generate small-scale intense vertical vortices. The structure of radial, vertical, and toroidal velocity components in these vortices has been investigated. The structure of vertical vorticity and toroidal velocity in vortex areas that are limited by radius has been examined.
Keywords:atmosphere vortices model of vortices nonlinear structures ideal hydrodynamics
This work was supported by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences, program no. 28, within the state task of the Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences.
- 3.Dutton, J.A., Dynamics of Atmospheric Motions, New York: Dover, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Jickells, T.D., An, Z.S., Andersen, K.K., Baker, A.R., Bergametti, G., Brooks, N., Cao, J.J., Boyd, P.W., Duce, R.A., Hunter, K.A., Kawahata, H., Kubilay, N., Liss, P.S., Mahowald, N., Prospero, J.M., Ridgwell, A.J., Tegen, I., and Torres, R., Global iron connections between desert dust, ocean biogeochemistry, and climate, Science, 2005, vol. 308, no. 5718, pp. 67–71. doi 10.1126/science.1105959CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Onishchenko, O.G., Pokhotelov, O.A., and Astaf’eva, N.M., Eddies of internal gravity waves in the atmosphere with zonal wind, Sovrem. Probl. Zondirovaniya Zemli Kosmosa, 2012, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 187–191.Google Scholar
- 15.Onishchenko, O.G., Pokhotelov, O.A., and Astaf’eva, N.M., Convective cells of inner gravity waves in the Earth’s atmosphere with zonal wind, Geofiz. Issled., 2013a, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 5–9.Google Scholar
- 20.Onishchenko, O.G., Pokhotelov, O.A., and Astaf’eva, N.M., Convective cells of inertial gravity waves in the vicinity of the mesopause, Geofiz. Issled., 2015a, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 5–11.Google Scholar
- 22.Onishchenko, O.G., Pokhotelov, O.A., Horton, W., and Fedun, V., Explosively growing vortices of unstably stratified atmosphere, J. Geophys. Res.: Atmos., 2016, vol. 121, pp. 7197–7214. doi 10.1002/2016JD025961Google Scholar
- 27.Renno, N.O., Abreu, V.J., Koch, J., Smith, P.H., Hartogensis, O.K., Henk, A.R.De., Bruin, H.A.R., Burose, D., Delory, G.T., Farrell, W.M., Watts, C.J., Garatuza, J., Parker, M., and Carswell, A., MATADOR 2002: A pilot field experiment on convective plumes and dust devils, J. Geophys. Res., 2004, vol. 109, E07001. doi 10.1029/2003JE002219CrossRefGoogle Scholar