Efficient nonlinear-optical frequency conversion in periodic media in the presence of diffraction of the pump and harmonic fields
- 39 Downloads
It has been predicted by Shelton and Shen [Phys. Rev. A 5, 1867 (1972)] and observed by Kajikawa et al. [Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Lett. 31, L679 (1992)] and Yamada et al. [Appl. Phys. B 60, 485 (1995)] that the efficiency of nonlinear-optical frequency conversion increases significantly in a nonlinear periodic medium and, accordingly, the intensity of the generated harmonic increases as the fourth power of the sample thickness, as opposed to the square law observed in homogeneous media. In this paper it is shown that the same enhancement of the efficiency of nonlinear-optical frequency conversion in a nonlinear periodic medium can be achieved using an ordinary pump wave in the form of a plane wave when both the pump wave and the harmonics are diffracted by the periodic structure of the nonlinear medium. The phenomenon is analyzed quantitatively in the example of second-harmonic generation.
PACS numbers42.65.Ky 42.70.Nq
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. L. Byer, Nonlinear Opt. 7, 235 (1999).Google Scholar
- 2.A. S. Chirkin and V. V. Volkov, J. Russ. Laser Res. 19, 409 (1998).Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Andreev, O. A. Andreeva, A. V. Balakin et al., Kvantovaya Élektron. 28, 75 (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.V. A. Belyakov and N. V. Shipov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 82, 1159 (1982) [Sov. Phys. JETP 55, 674 (1982)].Google Scholar
- 9.S. V. Shiyanovskii, Ukr. Fiz. Zh. (Russ. Ed.) 27, 361 (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.V. A. Belyakov and N. V. Shipov, Pis’ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 9, 22 (1983) [Sov. Tech. Phys. Lett. 9, 9 (1983)].Google Scholar
- 16.J. Yoo, S. Choi, H. Hoshi et al., Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Part 2 36, L1168 (1997).Google Scholar
- 17.M. Copic and I. Drevensek-Olenik, Liq. Cryst. 21, 233 (1996).Google Scholar
- 19.D. Chung et al., 1999 (in press).Google Scholar
- 20.V. A. Belyakov, Diffraction Optics of Complex-Structured Periodic Media, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York (1992).Google Scholar