Nonradiative decay of the low-lying nuclear isomer 229mTh(3.5 eV) in a metal
- 44 Downloads
A new nonradiative decay channel for the anomalously low-lying isomeric level 3/2+ (3.5±1.0 eV) of the 229Th nucleus in a metal via the conduction electrons is examined. The lifetime of the isomer in a metal is calculated. An explanation is given for the experimental results of S. B. Utter et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 505 (1999), where the optical radiation spectrum of the indicated isomer was investigated.
PACS numbers23.20.Nx 23.90.+w
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. F. Strizhov and E. V. Tkalya, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 99, 697 (1991) [Sov. Phys. JETP 72, 387 (1991)].Google Scholar
- 4.E. V. Tkalya, Yad. Fiz. 55, 2881 (1992) [Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 55, 1661 (1992)].Google Scholar
- 7.A. F. Burenkov, F. F. Komarov, M. A. Kumakhov, and M. M. Temkin, Spatial Distributions of the Energy Released in an Atomic Collision Cascade in Solids [in Russian] (Énergoatomizdat, Moscow, 1985).Google Scholar
- 9.N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin, Solid State Physics (Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1976).Google Scholar
- 10.I. M. Band, M. A. Listengarten, M. B. Trzhaskovskaya, and V. I. Fomichev, Preprints LIYaF-289 and LIYaF-298-300, Leningrad Institute of Nuclear Physics, Leningrad (1976–1977).Google Scholar
- 11.D. P. Grechukhin and A. A. Soldatov, Preprint IAÉ-2976 [in Russian], Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy, Moscow (1998).Google Scholar