On induced CPT-odd Chern-Simons terms in the 3+1 effective action
This paper was originally designated as a Comment on the paper by R. Jackiw and V. A. Kostelecký, Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 3572 (1999). It gives an example of a fermionic system in which the CPT-odd Chern-Simons terms in the effective action are unambiguously induced by chiral fermions: superfluid 3He-A. In this system the Lorentz and gauge invariances are both violated at high energy, but the behavior of the system beyond the cutoff is known. This allows one to construct a CPT-odd action which combines the conventional 3+1 CS term and the mixed axial-gravitational CS term discussed by G. E. Volovik and A. Vilenkin, http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ph/9905460. The influence of the CS term on the dynamics of the effective gauge field has been observed experimentally in rotating 3He-A.
PACS numbers11.15.−q 11.10.Ef 11.30.Er 67.57.−z
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. Colladay and V. Alan Kostelecký, Phys. Rev. D 58, 116002 (1998).Google Scholar
- 3.C. D. Fosco and J. C. Le Guillou, http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/9904138.
- 4.A. A. Andrianov, R. Soldati, and L. Sorbo, Phys. Rev. D 59, 025002/1–13 (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.J.-M. Chung, http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/9905095.
- 6.M. Perez-Victoria, http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/9905061.
- 13.D. Vollhardt, P. and P. Wölfle, The Superfluid Phases of Helium 3, Taylor and Francis, London-New York-Philadelphia, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.G. E. Volovik and A. Vilenkin, http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ph/9905460.
- 17.S. Coleman and S. Glashow, http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ph/9812418.