Gravity of monopole and string and the gravitational constant in 3He-A
- 27 Downloads
We discuss the effective metric produced in superfluid 3He-A by such topological objects as the radial disgyration and monopole. In relativistic theories these metrics are similar to that of the local string and global monopole, respectively. But in 3He-A they have a negative angle deficit, which corresponds to a negative mass of the topological objects. The effective gravitational constant in superfluid 3He-A, deduced from a comparison with relativistic theories, is G∼Δ−2, where the gap amplitude Δ plays the part of the Planck energy. G depends on temperature roughly as (1−T2/T c 2 )−2 and corresponds to a screening of Newton’s constant.
PACS numbers04.80.2y 06.20.Jr 67.57.2z
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. O. Katanaev and I. V Volovich, “Scattering on dislocations and cosmic strings in the geometric theory of defects,” http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9801081.
- 4.M. Visser, “Acoustic black holes: horizons, ergospheres, and Hawking radiation,” http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9712010.
- 6.T. Jacobson and G. E. Volovik, “Event horizons and ergoregions in 3He,” http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/cond-mat/9801308.
- 7.G. E. Volovik, Exotic properties of superfluid 3 He, World Scientific, Singapore, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.G. E. Volovik, “Axial anomaly in 3He-A,” http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/cond-mat/9802091.
- 9.D. D. Sokolov, A. A. Starobinsky, Dokl. AN SSSR, 234, 1043 (1977) [Sov. Phys. Dokl. 22, 312 (1977)].Google Scholar
- 11.D. Vollhardt and P. Wolfle, The superfluid phases of helium 3, Taylor & Francis, London, 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.G. E. Volovik, Usp. Fiz. Nauk. 143, 73 (1984) [Sov. Phys. Usp. 27, 363 (1984)].Google Scholar
- 16.J. D. Barrow, “Varying G and other constants,” http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/9711084.
- 17.A. D. Sakharov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk 177, 70 (1968) [Sov. Phys. Dokl. 12, 1040 (1968)].Google Scholar