Instability and chaos in nonlinear wave interaction: A simple model
- 33 Downloads
We analyze the stability of a system which contains a harmonic oscillator nonlinearly coupled to its second harmonic, in the presence of a driving force. It is found that there always exists a critical amplitude of the driving force above which a loss of stability appears. The dependence of the critical input power on the physical parameters is analyzed. For a driving force of greater amplitude, chaotic behavior is observed. The generalization to interactions which include higher modes is discussed.
KeywordsSpectroscopy State Physics Field Theory Elementary Particle Simple Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. S. L’vov, Wave Turbulence Under Parametric Excitations, Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1994).Google Scholar
- 2.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Mechanics, Pergamon Press, New York (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.E. A. Guillemin, The Mathematics of Circuit Analysis, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.J. V. Uspensky, Theory of Equations, McGraw-Hill, New York (1948).Google Scholar
- 7.I. M. Khalatnikov, G. V. Kolmakov, and V. L. Pokrovsky, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 107, 1563 (1995) [JETP 80, 873 (1995)].Google Scholar
- 8.M. Kroyter, Masters Thesis, School of Physics and Astronomy, Tel-Aviv University (1998).Google Scholar