Numerical modeling of the reflection coefficients for the plane sound wave reflection from a layered elastic bottom
The matrix method and its numerical realization are considered in calculating the complex reflection coefficients and refraction indices of plane sound waves for geoacoustic models of the ocean bottom in the form of homogeneous elastic (liquid) absorbing layers overlying an elastic halfspace. In calculating the reflection coefficients at high frequencies or in the presence of a large numbers of sedimentary layers, a passage from the Thomson-Haskell matrix approach to the Dunkin-Thrower computational scheme is performed. The results of test calculations are presented. With the aim of developing resonance methods for the reconstruction of the parameters of layered elastic media, the behavior of the frequency-angular dependences of the reflection coefficient are studied for various geoacoustic bottom models. The structure of the angular and frequency resonances of the reflection coefficients is revealed. The dependence of the structure (the position, width, and amplitude) of two types of resonances on the parameters of the layered bottom is considered.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. M. Brekhovskikh and O. A. Godin, Acoustics of Layered Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1989; Berlin, Springer, 1990).Google Scholar
- 2.W. M. Ewing, W. S. Jardetzky, and F. Press, Elastic Waves in Layered Media (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1957).Google Scholar
- 3.L. A. Molotkov, in Computational Methods in Geophysics (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1981).Google Scholar
- 4.L. A. Molotkov, The Matrix Method in the Theory of Wave Propagation in Elastic and Fluid Layered Media (Nauka, Leningrad, 1984).Google Scholar
- 5.M. M. Machevariani, V. V. Tyutekin, and A. P. Shkvarnikov, Akust. Zh. 17, 97 (1971) [Sov. Phys. Acoust. 17, 77 (1971)].Google Scholar
- 7.V. N. Fokin and M. S. Fokina, Akust. Zh. 44, 676 (1998) [Acoust. Phys. 44, 585 (1998)].Google Scholar
- 8.N. R. Chapman, M. Musil, and M. J. Wilmut, Boll. Geofis. Teor. Appl. 40(1), 40 (1999).Google Scholar
- 10.N. R. Chapman, D. E. Hanny, and K. M. M. Rohr, in Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Underwater Acoustics, 1996, Vol. 2, p. 613.Google Scholar
- 20.I. W. Dunkin, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 55, 335 (1965).Google Scholar
- 23.F. R. Gantmacher, The Theory of Matrices (Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1966, 3rd ed.; Chelsea, New York, 1959).Google Scholar
- 24.A. Nagl, H. Überall, and W. R. Hoover, IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. GE-20, 332 (1982).Google Scholar
- 26.A. Nagl, H. Überall, and Yoo Kwang-Bock, in Inverse Problems (Inst. of Physics, Bristol, 1985), Vol. 1, p. 99.Google Scholar