The surface energy of cryocrystals
- 21 Downloads
An expression for the surface energy σ00 of a crystal at T = 0 and P = 0 is obtained with allowance for the zero-point vibrations of atoms in the crystal. Particular calculations are performed for the cryocrystals of inert gases and hydrogen isotopes, in which the energy of zero-point vibrations is comparable with the energy of interatomic interactions. It is established that σ00 exhibits highly correlated dependences of the same kind on the atomic (molecular) mass m, the melting temperature Tm, and the interatomic interaction potential D/kB (kB is the Boltzmann constant), whereby the function σ00(m, Tm, D/kB) exhibits nonlinear growth with each argument. The ratio σ00/σliquid, where σliquid is the surface tension of the liquid phase at T = Tm, also exhibits highly correlated dependences on m, Tm, and D/kB, which can be divided into two parts of linear growth corresponding to the quantum and classical domains. The σ00/σliquid ratio, being smaller in the quantum case than in the classical one, grows with m, Tm, and D/kB much faster in the quantum than in the classical domain.
KeywordsHydrogen Surface Tension Liquid Phase Surface Energy Melting Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cryocrystals, Ed. by B. I. Verkin and A. F. Prikhod’ko (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1983) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.M. N. Magomedov, Zh. Fiz. Khim. 62, 2103 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.M. N. Magomedov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 45, 33 (2003) [Phys. Solid State 45, 32 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 4.M. N. Magomedov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 46, 924 (2004) [Phys. Solid State 46, 954 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 5.M. N. Magomedov, Zh. Fiz. Khim. 61, 1003 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.V. G. Baidakov, “Surface Tension of Liquefied Gases,” in Reviews of Thermophysical Properties of Materials (IVTAN, Moscow, 1988), No. 1(69), pp. 3–112 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.U. M. Kulish, Physical Chemistry of Surface Phenomena in Melts (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1971), pp. 46–51 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.M. N. Magomedov, Pis’ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 31(9), 50 (2005) [Tech. Phys. Lett. 31, 381 (2005)].Google Scholar