Type-IV superconductivity: Cooper pairs with broken inversion and time-reversal symmetries in conventional superconductors
The vortex phase in a singlet superconductor in the absence of impurities is shown to be absolutely unstable with respect to the appearance of a triplet component that breaks both the inversion and time-reversal symmetries of Cooper pairs. The symmetry breaking paramagnetic effects are demonstrated to be of the order of unity if the orbital upper critical field, Hc2(0), is of the order of the Clogston paramagnetic limiting field, Hp. We suggest a generic phase diagram of such a type-IV superconductor that is a singlet one at H = 0 and characterized by a mixed singlet-triplet order parameter with broken time-reversal symmetry in the vortex phase. The possibility to observe type-IV superconductivity in clean organic, high-Tc, MgB2, and other superconductors is discussed.
PACS numbers74.20.Rp 74.25.Op 74.70.−b
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Abrikosov, Fundamentals of the Theory of Metals (Nauka, Moscow, 1987; Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1988).Google Scholar
- 2.P. G. de Gennes, Superconductivity of Metals and Alloys (Westview Press, Boulder, 1999; Mir, Moscow, 1968).Google Scholar
- 3.L. P. Gorkov and T. K. Melik-Barkhudarov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 45, 1493 (1963) [Sov. Phys. JETP 18, 1031 (1964)].Google Scholar
- 4.D. Jerome, A. Mazaud, M. Ribault, and K. Bechgaard, J. Phys. Lett. 41, L–95 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.T. Ishiguro, K. Yamaji, and G. Saito, Organic Superconductors, 2nd ed. (Springer, Heidelberg, 1998).Google Scholar
- 7.J. G. Bednortz and K. Muller, Z. Phys. B 64, 189 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.V. P. Mineev and K. V. Samokhin, Introduction to Unconventional Superconductivity (Gordon and Breach, Amsterdam, 1999).Google Scholar
- 12.We do not use term “type-III superconductivity” in order to distinguish between suggested in the letter novel bulk phenomenon and a so-called surface superconductivity, which is characterized by critical field H c3(T) [1 2].Google Scholar
- 14.Type-IV superconductivity phenomenon in layered d-wave superconductors is considered in A.G. Lebed, Phys. Rev. Lett. (submitted).Google Scholar
- 16.A. A. Abrikosov, L. P. Gorkov, and I. E. Dzyaloshinskii, Methods of Quantum Field Theory in Statistical Physics (Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1962; Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1963).Google Scholar
- 19.A. A. Abrikosov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 32, 1442 (1957) [Sov. Phys. JETP 5, 1174 (1957)].Google Scholar
- 23.L. P. Gorkov and E. I. Rashba, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 037004 (2001).Google Scholar